ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Would someone mind recommending a good laser printer?

<< < (7/8) > >>

corps59:
A few weeks ago I bought a new HP LaserJet P2055dn from Hewlett Packard on-line, and had it delivered to my home office (the printer is considered a business printer even though I bought it for home use). It was a replacement for a previous HP printer that got old, but it had an add-on duplexer that I found to be invaluable. The P2055dn was my choice because it has an internal duplexer. AND, my new printer is physically a lot smaller than my previous printer. If I remember correctly, a second paper tray can be purchased, but I did not elect that option.

The P2055dn printer is well worth buying and using.

nmr:
Brother HL-5250DN
-mouser (September 24, 2010, 08:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I second this printer. The toners are real cheap. They print a lot well and also do auto duplex if im not mistaken. and it networks. the printer is cheap too. I second this. For my previous office i got like 5-8 of these!!!!

Rocketboy:
I have a Samsung  CLX-3175F.. it's color, and has a scanner/copier built in.  It can also do faxes (if you are into that sort of thing) and it has wi-fi built in, so it doesn't have to be teathered to your PC.  I got a deal and a half on it as well.

I've had it for about a year, and I still get amazed at the print quality. No problems at all with it, even after the time the wife used glossy inkjet paper in it  :trout:

http://www.samsung.com/us/glossary/multifunction_printer.html

Stoic Joker:
the wife used glossy inkjet paper in it-Rocketboy (November 04, 2010, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

In a Laser Printer?!? That's an incredibly bad idea. The glossy coating can (and frequently does) melt when the paper goes through the fuser, which will gum up the rollers and leave you with a $300 repair bill.

JavaJones:
Ok so at my last job, rather than have a single monster machine networked that everyone used (or one per floor), most everyone had a printer of some kind on their desk. This gave me the chance to work with a lot of different models and brands, almost all of them laser printers. Here are my thoughts:

Samsung: Very good overall, some of the least problems and most consistent operation. I'd probably give the nod to Samsung for the best of the brands we had. We had a number of older Samsungs that outlasted newer purchases from e.g. Brother. I also have a Samsung at home that's been pretty good. Fairly low volume, but still haven't had to replace the toner in maybe 2 years.

Brother: Good printers overall, some jamming and streaking issues, definitely "disposable" oriented. We had a few with problems and ultimately ended up just scrapping them - repair cost wasn't worth it. Mind you we bought more Brothers than almost anything else so they were bound to crap out in higher numbers (though I don't think a higher *percentage* did).

HP: Not bad, though they used to be a lot better. We didn't buy many of them, the few we had weren't outstanding (although not miserable either). I have the same complaints about bloated drivers and whatnot though.

Xerox: Only minimal experience, was ok, but honestly I don't think they compete much in the consumer space anymore.

Canon: Really the best for inkjet when you factor in speed and quality. This is both from work and personal experience. I recently got a Canon MP640 multifunction and couldn't be happier. It's fully networked so I can print and *scan* from any computer on my home network. Very slick.

Which leads me to: Wifi in printers is NOT a gimmick! There are a few reasons why.

First, many printers still do not include basic network (RJ45) support, so to get them on a network you need to either buy a print server (more expensive than the added cost of wifi in a printer these days - it's come down a lot the last year or so), or you have to hav them connected to a computer that's always on. Add to that my experience with the best wireless print server I could find - which is not very good - and I have to say the native wifi experience is MUCH better.

Second, when a manufacturer builds wifi in instead of relying on connection to a PC or a print server, they tend to tailor the functionality to working nicely across the network. My Canon MP640 is a fantastic example. Scanning across the network is just like scanning locally. I can open up a scan app from my laptop on wifi and scan just like I would on my desktop. Alternatively I can go to the unit itself and scan something and send it to any machine on the network with the driver installed. The UI is pretty slick and everything works fast. Win!

Third, the cost of wifi added to printers these days is generally not that much. Here's an example:

The Samsung ML-2525 (no wireless) - $119
Samsung ML-2525W (wireless included) - $139

That tends to hold up in the consumer space pretty well, i.e. moving into the inkjet realm, you might see a $10-$20 difference on a ~$100 for adding wifi. A larg proportion of the Canon MFC line just comes with wireless now by default. I think more manufacturers are probably going that route, and it's just fine with me.

Finally, wireless is actually quite useful if you do want to share a printer with a household or small work group, and want freedom in where to position the thing. Not near a network port and don't want to string a cable over to it? No problem!

Really, for the small added cost, wireless is *great*.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version