ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Would someone mind recommending a good laser printer?

<< < (6/8) > >>

mouser:
your points are excellent -- if you are doing really high volume, then all sorts of other considerations need to be considered, such as: is the machine going to hold up to the high volume, and otherwise small differences can end up being significant (toner cost, noise, speed).

johnk:
Yes, the most important factor (if you're doing any serious level of printing) is cost per page. So the key questions are: (1) durability of printer (2) toner cost and (3) how often the drum or other parts need replacing. Cheap printers aimed at the consumer market are often a false economy (and that goes for lasers as well as inkjets).

My best tech bargain in recent years was a second-hand laser printer on Ebay.

Business-class laser printers sell second-hand for a tiny fraction of their original value, presumably because so many companies are on those service contracts which replace printers every two or three years, whether they need them or not.

At the time I bought my printer (an HP 2300dn -- d=duplex, n=network), they were selling on Ebay for about £80, about 10 per cent of their price new.

So for £80 I got a heavy-duty laser printer in excellent condition (with an almost-full toner cartridge, new price up to £90!). The print engine is designed to cope with 25,000 pages a month. My printer had printed a total of 10,000 pages in its previous life, so it was almost new in terms of usage.

But best of all is the cost per page -- the cartridges print 6,000 pages, so even if you pay full price, that's only 1.5p per page. But I've never paid more than £30 (and that's for genuine HP units, not remanufactured/refilled stuff), so my toner cost per page is 0.5p.

It has been totally reliable, and is used as the household printer because of its network capabilities. It has never jammed, and I use duplex all the time. It's worth considering this route.

techidave:

Many people are quite happy with Brothers. However, they are a disposable printers.
-cmpm (September 26, 2010, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Disposable printers?  Even then you can get a "disposable" one that last like the energizer bunny.  Our school has a HP 1100 Laserjet with 100,000 pages on it in its 12 year or so life span.  While that is rare for a printer that is rated at 30,000 pages for its life, it does happen.   The only thing that has been done to it is the kit to fix the pulling multiple pages problem.

I have had good luck with some Samsung Lasers like a ML2150 and 3050.  Also had good lluck with the HP 2200 and 2300 Laserjets along with a Xerox Docuprint N2125.-Stoic Joker (September 26, 2010, 10:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

ppass:
Keep away from Samsung. I bought the 350N (color laser). Their customer service is terrible. The technician came 6 times into my house to try to repair it. Total waste of time on calls to the customer service center. I won't buy anything from Samsung anymore.

ahha:
You should seriously look at Brother printers.  I have 6 of them and they are just solid workhorses.  Have lasted years and am still using them.  Very reliable and very very cheap on toner, hardly ever jam.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version