topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: is there an ultimate file extension manager (to work with windows 7, at least).  (Read 41020 times)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Firefox crew doesn't want people using Nightly Tester Tools anymore & wants people to move to the more powerful Addon Compatibility Tester (I think that's what it's called).

Interesting, I'll check it out!

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
okay, thanks daddydave for pointing that out. that was the keymanager i'd seen (keyconfig) and not even attempted as i assumed it wouldn't work - it does work.

as i only wanted to use F8 to focus the address bar (just a habit i created with Maxthon) i've now set that up with just the keyconfig extension (replacing the Ctrl + L hotkey). i probably won't require anything more.

@Innuendo, sorry for not scanning through the list to check if you were using that Tab Mix Plus. i think i'm getting lost with all of the extensions and settings i'm constantly running through. i'll try and be a bit more observant next time.

let's see what else i can get stuck with...

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
nudone, no biggie. I know I typed out a huge list. Do try DownloadStatusBar as it will stop the Downloads window from popping open every time you download something. Also get Update Notifier to stop the Updates window from popping open every time you have updates to your extensions.

Extended Statusbar will add more info to your statusbar & make it actually useful.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i'll be trying most of the things on your list i'm sure, it's just taking a while to look and try out all the options that come with each extension.

so far, i can't see myself going back to Maxthon, but i do still miss it. not sure if these are trivial things that i'll soon forget about.

i shall be trying the Downloadstatusbar and update notifier later today - the extended statusbar i'm already familiar with.

i wonder, is there an extension manager extension. something that would allow you to quickly swap between different extensions sets. at the moment, i've set FF up for general everyday browsing use - before, i had extensions simply for web design and testing. it would be nice to keep them separate so the interface doesn't become cluttered up, i.e. you just select a group of extensions for the way you are using the browser.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
...Maxthon is slowly fading from memory.

FireFox was really annoying me with the Findbar being stuck at the bottom of the screen, i'm used to seeing at the top (in Maxthon) and just don't want to get used to it being at the bottom.

Find Toolbar Tweaks provides the solution: https://addons.mozil.../firefox/addon/2585/

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
All this talk about add-ons reminds me I haven't updated this in a while.

For what it's worth, I found the Add-on Collector addon pretty useless and don't recommend it. Even with it, you still have to install the add-ons one by one (I expected to be an online version of FEBE/CLEO which it is not). Only tried it when it first came out, though.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ah good. more to check out. thanks, daddydave.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Pace yourself! Everyone has their own set of must-haves..yours may vary. Although I did attempt to separate the collections between ones I felt are generally useful for all, and ones that are useful for me in particular. I'll try to update it in a few days. (and Bookburro may have some issues lately and may fall off my must-haves, consider the BookInfoLine greasemonkey script or http://gettextbooks.com as an alternative).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:31 AM by daddydave »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i wonder, is there an extension manager extension. something that would allow you to quickly swap between different extensions sets.

I haven't seen one, but that doesn't mean one isn't out there. Of course, in lieu of a better solution you could set up separate profiles for different extension sets.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

After you get your extensions lined out we'll move on to must-have GreaseMonkey scripts.  ;D

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FireFox has different profiles? i didn't know that. interesting.

whilst using Maxthon i'd always looked on the GreaseMonkey scripts as "cheating". i was obviously just jealous. so, yes, it will be good to see what i've been missing out on all this time.

i think i've just about got FireFox doing what my configuration of Maxthon was doing. there are still a few things missing but i'm sure it's just a case of searching a bit more for the right extension combination. all this has made me realise how good Maxthon was straight out of the box. if they get Maxthon 3 right then i'll probably revert back to it - just depends on how things go with the FF extensions.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FireFox has different profiles? i didn't know that. interesting.

Just start Firefox with the -profile command line parameter to bring up the profile manager on launch.

i think i've just about got FireFox doing what my configuration of Maxthon was doing. there are still a few things missing but i'm sure it's just a case of searching a bit more for the right extension combination.

There's more than one thread here on DC about must-have Firefox extensions. You may want to dig them up for a good read.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There's more than one thread here on DC about must-have Firefox extensions. You may want to dig them up for a good read.
yes, good point. i will do that. i'll also post my "Firethon" (or could be "MaxFox") list when i think i've covered all the Maxthon operations. still not quite there, but yesterday's efforts managed to solve one of the more annoying FF traits...

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[... consider the BookInfoLine greasemonkey script or http://gettextbooks.com as an alternative).
Not to threadjack too much, but gettextbooks.com is pretty interesting.  Reminds me of http://www.addall.com though they are much more general the your suggestion.  Thanks for the info.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It is recommended you also install functions for keyconfig extension, this gives you a GUI for keyconfig.

I was wrong. As nudone undoubtedly figured out, the GUI comes from keyconfig itself. Functions for keyconfig merely provides, well, functions for keyconfig.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@nudone: here's a software (currently in beta) named Gunners File Type Editor.  

Take note I've no idea if this is a reliable extensions manager (ie. this mention is not a recommendation) as I haven't had a need for such software.  In other words, don't blame the messenger if it's another dud. ;)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 02:25 PM by sajman99 »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
okay, thanks, sajman99. i'll take a look in a couple of days (when back at main pc).

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Gunners File Type Editor looks promising. i've not really tested it yet as i want to do it when it doesn't matter if i break things in the process. i'll try and do it later in the week, with the extension changes that always seem to go wrong.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@nudone

Here's a link to a forum discussion about GFTE. Hope it helps.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i can't remeber if this has been mentioned already but that forum refers to Assox http://sites.google.com/site/assoxhome/ so this is probably worth a try too. thanks, PhilB66.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

I can't recall if this small file types manager has been mentioned (and I'm too sleep deprived to read this entire thread).

Types  http://izt.name/apps/types/

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i used to use Types. it isn't really up to the job on Windows 7. not for managing file type icons, at least.