ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

My Windows Desktop is a shambles...

<< < (5/5)

superboyac:
superboyac
Most grateful if you can detail your setups for LBC and FARR - thanks

SKA
-SKA (September 24, 2010, 10:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
No problem.  You can see a picture of my LBC setup in the link mouser gave above, but I'll post it again:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=18759.msg172248#msg172248

As for FARR, I really just use whatever default setup comes with it.  I think the only thing I may change is the skin.  You can find my review for it here:
http://aram.dcmembers.com/professional/software/findrun-robot/

It's all about the fastest and easiest way to launch programs.  If it's on the desktop, you have to minimize everything (or use the show desktop button) to find the icons.  If you go in your start menu, and if it's anything like mine, there's just too many things there and you'll have to find it.  With LBC, I either use the system tray or the pop-up under the mouse, and from there i can choose from my well-organized categories.  Doesn't take more than a couple of seconds.  But my LBC isn't always updated with the latest stuff I've installed, because that has to manually done.  In those cases, i use FARR.  I just type the first few letters and BAM, launch.  Doesn't take more than 5 seconds.
i don't know of any configuration better than that.

MilesAhead:
It was the whim of my father and by his explanation, he felt it was more mentally ergonomic to have the start button on the right side, if you were right handed.
-app103 (September 24, 2010, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have to agree there.  When you think about it, for right hander, the start button should be all the way at the right, but when it opens it should leave space for any task tray balloons(task tray should be immediately to the left of the Start Button.) Icons representing running programs should appear all the way at the left and fill in towards the right.  The functional part of the task bar is split like a 7 10 split in bowling.  Kind of weird. Plus when you get a new install you have to traverse that space so the first act even before deleting bloatware is to adjust the mouse pointer speed.  Same thing every time you create a new account.  Some things carry on. :)

sajman99:
The freeware SideSlide could be worth a look...
SideSlide is an advanced, portable, unobtrusive, dockable, skinnable, instantly accessible, highly configurable Desktop Extension on Steroids! Clean desktop clutter and make your computer friendlier and faster than ever before. With unique use of containers and various innovative features, SideSlide lets you get instant access to everything you have and much more. The program respects your system and keeps all of its configuration files in a single folder.

--- End quote ---

I vaguely remember trying this software quite a while back and didn't care for it, but it looks like the development has been active. Lots of new features since I last checked.

Regards

nudone:
(oooh. that SideSlide looks very interesting.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version