ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

what's wrong with my PC? (it's often soooo slow)

(1/5) > >>

brotherS:
Hi folks,

since a few weeks my PC sometimes behaves weird: programs (and the mouse cursor) freeze for a few seconds, Skype conversations (or youtube videos) come to a screeching (or crackling) halt (they sometimes recover after 20 to 30 seconds). Sometimes Vista even totally freezes. If I want a regular Skype conversation I now have to shut down Chrome before I start Skype. Even typing this is randomly slowed down/paused for a few seconds. Sucks. :(

It's as if the HD can't keep up... and defrag doesn't help. I can't connect the beginning of the problems with any action I took - I didn't install new software or hardware.

I'm curious if you have any ideas...

mouser:
next time it happens, quickly hit ctrl+alt+delete and sort the running processes by CPU usage -- see if it's one program eating up all your cpu.

Gwen7:
install mouser's process tamer app and note what process gets tamed when it cuts in. you can also check its log file for clues.   

you'll have a better idea what to do next once you've identified your resource hog.  

sajman99:
Check Event Viewer or Nirsoft's MyEventViewer for any errors or warnings.

Perhaps do a malware scan to make sure you didn't pick up some baddie. If nothing shows up in MBAM, SAS, etc., then at least you can eliminate that possibility.

f0dder:
Could be bad sectors on your harddrive. Any nasty clunking sounds? (Not that they *have* to be present when a drive is dying).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version