topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 7:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

What 2 features do you think should be implemented next for TaskDaddy?

support recurring tasks
5 (25%)
support more built-in task fields
2 (10%)
support custom task fields
0 (0%)
support merging a command line with tasks from a file, e.g., taskdaddy "@@Errand Buy _ from Wal-mart" /f groceries.txt
1 (5%)
support for Lightning addon for Thunderbird
1 (5%)
a companion program CalendarDaddy
0 (0%)
some type of indicator confirming the task has been added to Outlook
2 (10%)
ability to customize reminder time
2 (10%)
ability to mark a task as complete
2 (10%)
support user friendly dates such as #tomorrow or #+3 (for three days from now)
5 (25%)
support spaces in categories
0 (0%)
user specifiable special characters to prevent conflicts with characters in user data
0 (0%)
other (specify in comments)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: NANY 2011 TaskDaddy Missing/Future Features Poll  (Read 17400 times)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2011 TaskDaddy Missing/Future Features Poll
« on: September 22, 2010, 07:28 AM »
Notice that some should be quick to implement and others may take years. For this poll, don't worry about that. That's my problem, not yours*. It is a fact that most of the work on TaskDaddy is done in 15 minute spurts while the kids are asleep or at school. But if a feature is going to take a while to implement, that may be all the more reason to get started on it, despite the fact that may put it out of scope for NANY which has to be complete by 1/1/2011.

*Technically it could be yours if you really want that feature.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 04:30 PM by daddydave »

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 TaskDaddy Missing/Future Features Poll
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 04:30 PM »
Thanks for the voting so far. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 10:19 PM »
Thanks for the voting so far. Anyone else want to weigh in?

As the event gets closer to the conclusion and more people try the software I'm sure you'll get more suggestions...

It's probably not a bad idea to leave the poll running  :)

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 03:40 AM »
Tough choices! But I really need the support for the following feature:
  • support recurring tasks
  • ability to customize reminder time

Keep up the good work!  :Thmbsup:

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:24 PM »
Based on 10 interested voters, the top two most important features to add at this point are clearly recurring tasks and user friendly dates. I am puttering around in C++ a little bit but it is a bit overwhelming, I think I may slowly go ahead and trying to add those in AutoIt, and restart mouser's C++ lessons in the meantime so I am more comfortable with the language before I tackle the C++ port.

After getting my iPod Touch, I had some doubts as to whether I could keep tasks out of the cloud. I still am not satisfied with any of the solutions available really, but I think I have found my way back to Outlook tasks, having had two of my online accounts compromised since I last visited this thread. Funny how online security for the individual keeps going down as time goes on, but that's for another thread.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:20 PM »
sorry just saw this now.  although i am not an outlook user, during my screencast it seems reallly clear to me that on the very very top of your todo list should be a nice confirmation that the item was actually added, and some handling of the case when outlook was not running.  i would absolutely do that before anything else, or you could get some irate users who thought they added things that never get added.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 04:41 AM »
sorry just saw this now.  although i am not an outlook user, during my screencast it seems reallly clear to me that on the very very top of your todo list should be a nice confirmation that the item was actually added, and some handling of the case when outlook was not running.  i would absolutely do that before anything else, or you could get some irate users who thought they added things that never get added.

Good points. What kind of confirmation would be good, without being too intrusive? As for "some handling of the case when outlook was not running," in my tests, Outlook didn't need to be running. If Outlook is not installed at all, it is supposed to give the error "Unable to open Microsoft Outlook object," which admittedly could be worded a little better. I admit I didn't actually test it on a machine that doesn't have Outlook on it, but I will now.

Confirmations and user friendly dates are both implying a config file to me, so I'd better get started on that, too.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 04:54 AM »
in my brief test, if outlook wasn't running the task seemed not to be added, and there was no error.  that could be a misunderstanding on my part but that's what seemed to be happening.

confirmation is not so important IFF one could be very very convinced that an error would be reported, and the user RE-presented with their text if it failed to add.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 05:11 AM »
in my brief test, if outlook wasn't running the task seemed not to be added, and there was no error.
That would be a bug then. It is supposed to add the task regardless. Now, when I was adding hundreds of tasks at a time from the tester, I got the impression that  sometimes it took a while for Outlook to catch up and show all the tasks that had been added.

confirmation is not so important IFF one could be very very convinced that an error would be reported, and the user RE-presented with their text if it failed to add.

It should display an error, I can't remember if it re-presents it, I will check that. Thanks for the feedback.  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:18 AM by daddydave »