ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Nokia CEO admits that the cell phone industry is a gimmick.

(1/3) > >>

superboyac:
OK, he didn't say that literally, but that's what he meant.  Read:
some analysts agree with Anssi that relying on Android as the universal OS may lead to "permanently low profitability" with users failing to distinguish between different brands if they all offer the same experience.
--- End quote ---
I don't know about you, but this goes back to all the things I've been bitching about lately.  Why do phones have to be tied to carriers?  Why can't I just get whatever phone I want, and then choose whatever carrier I want?  What Anssi is admitting is that their actual cell phone services are so lame that the only thing distinguishing the phones is the "look" on the screen...the wallpaper, essentially.  Not the service quality, not the hardware, not the functionality.  Look, Anssi, Nokia makes cell phones.  If you want to compete, focus on making a bad-ass cell phone.  If your cell phone is bad ass, it won't matter what operating system is on it.  Actually, you want to be distinguishable?  Why don't you make the very first cell phone that is not only bad-ass, but completely open for all carriers.  Ah, business...don't you just love it?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/21/ce-oh-no-he-didnt-anssi-vanjoki-says-using-android-is-like-pe/

Eóin:
Actually in Europe, where Nokia are based of course, cellphones aren't tied to network. Though it usually cost more because no one is subsiding the cost of the phone. Also most networks carry all the popular phones so you have choice when looking for a subsidized one too.

superboyac:
Actually in Europe, where Nokia are based of course, cellphones aren't tied to network. Though it usually cost more because no one is subsiding the cost of the phone. Also most networks carry all the popular phones so you have choice when looking for a subsidized one too.
-Eóin (September 21, 2010, 09:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
This is what I always hear about as the "unlocked" phones, right?  i wonder why they are more flexible about it in Europe?  Also, the listed price of unlocked phones are ridiculous.  That's also a gimmick.  They make that price artificially so high just to force you to buy it through your carrier.  None of these phones are worth more than $200-300.  No more than the price of a netbook.

Renegade:
+1

The industry works at doing nothing more than trying to get as much money out of people as possible. I'm all for profit, but that doesn't mean I'm all for screwing people.

It would be very nice to see total decoupling, as THAT would make the market truly competitive. i.e. Decouple everything so you buy 3 things:

* Phone - the device
* OS - e.g. Android, Windows Mobile
* Service - i.e. the carrier
That would be nice. Or perhaps if they insist on the same BS, at least give us solid state hardware.

mobile manufacturers who go the Android route are doing no better than Finnish boys who "pee in their pants" for warmth in the winter.
--- End quote ---

HAHAHA~!

superboyac:
It would be very nice to see total decoupling, as THAT would make the market truly competitive. i.e. Decouple everything so you buy 3 things:

* Phone - the device
* OS - e.g. Android, Windows Mobile
* Service - i.e. the carrier-Renegade (September 22, 2010, 02:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hell yeah!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version