topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Just installed new hardware... ahhh  (Read 7230 times)

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just installed new hardware... ahhh
« on: February 10, 2006, 12:08 AM »
Way back in 1996, I bought a refurb 21" monitor for around $900.  I was looking at it all day, so I figured I'd save my eyes.  Around 2000, I found a better 21" monitor for $350 and bought it.  They both still work.  All of this to explain that I have had 1600x1200 resolution for a long time. 

Recently, in order to save desk space, I switched to dual 17" LCD's running @ 1280x1024 each.  I must say it has sucked every minute.  Although I should have more real estate available, I can't seem to use it effectivly.  I'm not sure if it's the divider in the middle or the lack of desktop height; 1200 vs 1024.  What ever the reason, I didn't like it.

A couple of days ago, I was feeling weak and bought a new 21" LCD.  It arrived today and I just installed it.  I really don't know what the big deal is, but I feel so-o-o much better now.

For those of you who think I'm just bragging...  I've been in the computer biz for 20+ years.  I'm allowed to have some nice toys and I'm allowed to share my happiness with my friends at DC.

If you are considering a dual screen setup, allow me to suggest that you try 1600x1200 first.  If I had $$ to burn, I donate some more to DC and buy a nice 2048x1536 monitor before I'd add a 2'nd 21".  :Thmbsup:

:eusa_dance:
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Just installed new hardware... ahhh
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 12:21 AM »
this is actually a very useful post since it's a datapoint against dual monitors, which i tend to advocate to people constantly.  i wonder what it was about them you didn't like.

https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1207.0

ps. i run two old 19" crts in 1600x1200 mode each.  i could never just use one monitor.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 01:42 AM »
throw all that junk out and get what i've got (head beginning to swell) an Eizo FlexScan s2410ww http://www.eizo.com/...lcd/S2410W/index.asp native resolution is 1920 x 1200. or, try one of these http://www1.us.dell....s&l=en&s=gen a Dell 30 inch monster.

two monitors still sounds good to me for the right kind of work - i keep thinking of just getting a cheap 15 inch LCD to put next to my widescreen - or maybe get two and put one at each side of it.

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 01:31 PM »
When I switched to LCD technology, it was the best thing I ever did.  I had used CRt displays for many years, but 3 years ago I bought a 19" CTX LCD (1600x1200 over DVI), coming from a 19" Hitachi CRT (1600x1200)  My eyes started feeling better and it was much easier to work for extended periods of time without becoming so tired.  That monitor was ok (great for the time), but nothing compared to when I bought a Samsung 213t 21.3" LCD (1600x1200 over DVI) a 15 months later, now that was heaven, much brighter, even easier to read, just a blessing.  Until.......Dell introduced the 2405FPW 24" Widescreen LCD (1920x1200 over DVI) last year around this time.  I waited till July to get it for under $900 taxed & shipped.  This has been the best thing ever, the work space is insane, everything is spread out so comfortably, unreal colors, and i only run it on 12of100 brightness level.  I highly recommend LCD technology @ 1600x1200 or higher.  If you dont sit back from the screen far enough (2 feet+) you do find youself having to move my head to read the entire screen, but not the end of the world.  Being that it's been a little while i wanted to upgrade my other PC to the same monitor, less for works sake & more for the fact that I want to be able to watch TV shows, DVD's, HDTV, etc.. on a nice size screen while I (try to) get work done on my main monitor.  The dell rep I got the first monitor from never really replied to my email stating if I would buy if I could get the same monitor, for under $780 this time, so I decided to take the money I had set aside for that & put it into a dual core AMD X2 system, instead improving my productivity. Anyways, back to my original train of thought (if I ever had one) it really is worth the steep price to take care of yourself with larger LCD technology, even if you have to make some sacrifices to get it.  Most especially if you are working in Video, Graphics, Programming, etc.....  One other thing I would like to add.  @24" widescreen from a position of sitting at your desk, video playing with an aspect ratio of 1.78-1.85 is absolutely the perfect size to enjoy it fully, especially High Definition material.  But 2.35 leaves room to desire a bigger screen.  Ahem, that's where the monitor nudone mentioned comes in, I too really like the look of that dell 30" monster (2560x1600 over DVI) and would love to see 2.35:1 movies on it, as I think it would be the perfect size for viewing from a desk setting, in addition of course to working with pictures, wavform sound, and video editing/rendering work.  I'm really not sure why I am babbling on, I think I'll blame it on the beer thread, as it inspired me to grab a couple.  If anyone wants to send me one feel free to PM me.  :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 01:59 PM »
my eyes feel like they are bleeding by the time i go to sleep - that's what you get from 10yr old crts that need their brightness turned up to 100.

but on the other hand, how else would i know when to go to sleep if it weren't for my eyes stopping to work?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 02:37 PM »
I can tell you mouser, that also happens with LCD's. I have a 15'' wxga screen (i know, it's got space for nothing, but i bet you can't put your computer on a backsack and take it when you go on vacations  :tellme: :tellme:), and after some time (a few hours ;) ) in front of the computer, my eyes and my head hurt.
And some time ago, i when to the ophtalmologist and i found out that i'll have to use glasses.. I hate the idea :'(

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 05:04 PM »
i'll add this but i haven't a clue what i'm trying to say: i've been using a CRT 19" monitor for years. it hasn't even got a flat screen - it's not mega convex but it certainly isn't flat. i stared at this for hours on end, day in, day out. i had the brightness turned down so that white looked grey and grey looked black - i 'felt' that it didn't kill my eyes so much.

if i went elsewhere (such as my workplace) and sat in front of their LCD monitors i could feel my eyes being ripped out of their sockets. i would be overjoyed when returning home to sit in front of my 'reduced brightness' slightly convex CRT.

now i've spent the last month at home sitting in front of the 24" LCD Eizo screen i cannot bear to stare at my old CRT monitor - the old monitor feels like i'm staring at a dirty gold fish bowl - seriously. it's absolutely terrible.

right. so what. well, once i would have argued until i'm blue in the face that my CRT goldfish bowl dull monitor was better than any LCD. Better dot pitch (it is quite good) and better on my weary eyes, less intense and just plain better for longer sessions.

now, i'll argue until i'm blue in the face that this new LCD monitor is the way to go and yet i've got the brightness setting at such a level that's like staring directly into the sun compared to what i was used to (the eizo panel uses the same as the 24" dell LCD Samsung screen and is known to have an incredibly bright display - anything above 60% brightness and you'd need sunglasses).

so, from my own experience, it appears that with a good LCD you can stare at large areas of pure white that are brightly lit for hours on end without destroying your eyesight; whereas, even with a good quality CRT, it feels like someone has rubbed sand in your eyes after a few hours of staring at a similar pure white area. maybe it has something to do with the refresh rate, but i did have the CRT set to 85 which ought to be plenty - now, my suspicion is that it just isn't fast enough.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 05:12 PM »
nice post nudone.. very useful to hear the impressions of going back and forth..

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 06:36 PM »
maybe it has something to do with the refresh rate, but i did have the CRT set to 85 which ought to be plenty
The explanation for that is scientific, and quite easy. The difference is that a CRT displays images by bombarding electrons against the screen, and some of those electrons go to your eyes, which originates the bleeding eyes and such.
With an lcd, the only thing that you have is light, and not even direct light, since the light bulbs are at the bottom or at the top of the lcd (or both, if you have a very good lcd :) ). But still, it might make your eyes hurt, it just will take longer ;)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 06:42 PM »
is that it. well, i think i've reduced the red eye appearance since i've had the new monitor - there have been times in the past that my eyeballs resembled christopher lee's when he was acting as dracula.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 05:28 AM »
You need to get out more in that case ;)