ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

Response to Question: Can shareware be released in the NANY event?

<< < (3/5) > >>

vitali_y:
I lean toward the NANY version being Free / Donationwar
--- End quote ---
but in the next year will be next NANY.
Other point -> as I think my software is mature enough and has a rather big functionality,
I spend several years for this - to get idea how the application should look like...
I do not want to release it as freeware.

other idea -> one application can only once take part in NANY,
so next time the application will not be new.

Stoic Joker:
While work is making it next to impossible to participate this year, I'll have to agree with Perry. The NANY apps by design (as I understand it) are to be new previously unreleased/coded from scratch on a deadline etc. etc. so the assertion that they be lite versions is basically a given.

Yes, this more time has been given to get more complete/polished apps. But that doesn't require that they be jam packed with every conceivable feature ... Just that they be documented well enough for the average Joe to operate without having to resort to prayer.

Time limits, nag-screens, ad-ware ... icky. Granted my entry last year did contain a company logo on the about screen, and was only part of a suite of utilities that are to be a commercial product (if it ever gets finished). But it stood on its own just fine, and it benefited greatly from the user input I received. I've still got a To-Do list of things to add and/or tweak for when the project reopens.

Deozaan:
other idea -> one application can only once take part in NANY,
so next time the application will not be new.
-vitali_y (September 21, 2010, 07:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is exactly right. One of the NANY requirements has always been that your application must not have been released before (or is basically a complete rewrite, thus making it new).

DeVamp:
My personal opinion is that NANY should stay free, not shareware.

But once NANY is over, the author is free to do with the next versions whatever he wants.

So : The version released for NANY is free, subsequent versions can be released as shareware, but then maybe not on this forum (or is my last tought wrong?)

wraith808:
^ +1.  Those are my thoughts too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version