ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

Response to Question: Can shareware be released in the NANY event?

<< < (2/5) > >>

mouser:
free license for a year with upgrading pricing after that.
--- End quote ---

we had a discussion about some confusion about this terminology lately..

does that mean that

1. After 1 year the program still works, but users who chooses to upgrade has to pay to upgrade just like a normal person who bought it?
or
2. That the program stops working after 1 year?

If it's #1 then that's great.  I don't use programs that behave like #2 (except for antivirus programs because they need continual updates).

tomos:
I know you're asking Vitali_y there, but I said the same thing so I'll clarify that I was thinking along the lines of your #1

1. After 1 year the program still works, but users who chooses to upgrade has to pay to upgrade just like a normal person who bought it

vitali_y:
I mean:
"After 1 year the program still works, but will display dialog with proposition to buy before startup for 30 secs (or more)"

timns:
In my case, I'm hoping that my NANY app will eventually mature into a commercial product. However, I really support DC and its members, so
what I said in my NANY pledge was this:

* If you help me test the app and provide feedback, or contribute to it in any way, you get a free copy
    * If you are a supporting member of DC, you get a free copy
    * If you donate to ANY of the NANY entries, you get a free copy

To the outside world, I will be saying "you should pay for a copy and support me, or join DC and support coders in general"

I'm working hard on this software and I feel that users do appreciate something a bit more if they pay for it - at the very least they will try to get their money's worth!

Perry Mowbray:
I lean toward the NANY version being Free / Donationware for its life (no time-limit, no nag screen after a period of time).

There is nothing stopping further development happening after NANY and a paid version(s) released at a later date.

I think the spirit of DC and NANY is celebratory and we should be doing everything that we can to increase the celebration for the coder and the user -- having time-limits and or nag screens and or feature restrictions to the original NANY release limits or decreases the celebration.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version