topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2011 Withdrawn: Crazy URL Thing (aka SAMSA)  (Read 17111 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2011 Withdrawn: Crazy URL Thing (aka SAMSA)
« on: August 10, 2010, 07:32 PM »
NANY 2011 Entry Information

Application Name Crazy URL Thing
Version 0.0
Short Description Semi-Automated Mass Searching Assistant (SAMSA)
Supported OSes Win-all
Web Page (none yet)
Download Link (none yet)
System Requirements
  • a Windows based PC
  • a browser (your choice)
  • a bunch of keywords
  • a desire to do a lot of searches on a lot of stuff, or on a lot of sites.
Version History
  • nothing yet
Author app103

Description
Allows the user to take a list of search terms, select a site, and keep clicking a button to pop open pages in their default browser, one page for each search term.

The idea evolved partly from this thread, and partly from 2 applications I had been working on, one was Stupid URL Thing, a small utility (just for myself) to make retrieving a list of the last 3000 tweets for the top 1000 twitter users faster and easier, and the other, SocBar, was focused on advanced searching of any and all social networking sites.

Features

Planned Features
  • ability to either paste in your keyword list or load from file
  • ability to edit and save keyword lists
  • ability to print keyword lists
  • ability to use user generated category files, containing info on all the sites in that category (such as Category: Social would contain info for the application to launch searches for nothing but social sites, Category: Search Engines would contain nothing but general search engines, etc)

Screenshots
(Subject to change)

Screenshot - 8_10_2010 , 7_58_21 PM.pngNANY 2011 Withdrawn: Crazy URL Thing (aka SAMSA)

Screenshot - 8_10_2010 , 8_01_24 PM.pngNANY 2011 Withdrawn: Crazy URL Thing (aka SAMSA)

Usage
Installation
You can't install it yet.

Using the Application

You could use it with a single keyword and open searches on multiple sites, or with a list and search on a single or multiple sites.

For example: Let's say you wanted to search for the best price on a single item. You'd enter your search keywords in the small box, select Category: Shopping, select the first site you wanted to check, and then click the "Go" button to open a search in your browser for that site. Then switch to the next site and click the "Go" button again.

If you had a whole big list of things you wanted to buy and wanted to search Amazon.com, you'd either paste in your list (or load from file), select Category: Shopping, select amazon.com, and click the button repeatedly to open up individual search pages for each of your keywords on Amazon's site.

The reason why it is semi-automated is because a lot of sites will block you if you perform too many searches in rapid succession, and it might not be practical to open 100's of pages at the same time, if you have a really long list.

Since it would be impossible for me to include every site on the internet that you could possibly want to search, I will include a starter set of category files and instructions for making your own, so you will be able to create, share, and trade category files with other users.

Uninstallation
Since you can't install it yet, you also can't uninstall it.

Known Issues
It's not ready yet.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 04:33 AM by Perry Mowbray »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Teaser: Crazy URL Thing (aka SAMSA)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 07:41 PM »
very nice -- i like this idea.  maybe add a link to the thread that inspired you to do this for your nany?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:24 PM by mouser »

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 07:50 PM »
Nice! Like the name, too.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 08:18 PM »
very nice -- i like this idea.  maybe add a link to the thread where the idea originated?

The idea didn't originate entirely from that thread, but I added the link to it and the other info in the description.

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 02:08 AM »
This could be really useful. Go on!  :up:

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Pledge: Crazy URL Thing (aka SAMSA)
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 03:58 PM »
I am probably not going to be releasing this, at least not for this year's NANY.

Sorry if I got anybody's hopes up.