ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does anyone actually use the Scroll Lock key?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Deozaan:
What does the Scroll Lock key do, anyway?

I mean besides toggle the LED on my keyboard.

jpijper:
What does the Scroll Lock key do, anyway?

I mean besides toggle the LED on my keyboard.
-Deozaan (September 21, 2010, 02:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Silly question! It scrolls the lock, of course ;)

techidave:
 ;D ;D

daddydave:
In Excel, the scroll lock makes the arrow keys  scroll the spreadsheet without changing the current cell.

EDITED: No I guess it really is arrow keys only

KynloStephen66515:
Up until now, I had only ever clicked the scroll lock key by accident, and never really knew what it did...but i just found this...gotta love the power of google lol.

Scroll lock is a key (often with an associated status light) on most modern computer keyboards. The key is not frequently used and therefore some keyboards lack Scroll Lock altogether;[1] Apple Keyboards do not have a Scroll Lock key at all (except for some obsolete ADB keyboards).

The Scroll Lock key was meant to lock all scrolling techniques, and is a remnant from the original IBM PC keyboard, though it is not used by most modern-day software. In the original design, Scroll Lock was intended to modify the behavior of the arrow keys. When the Scroll Lock mode was on, the arrow keys would scroll the contents of a text window instead of moving the cursor. In this usage, Scroll Lock is a toggling lock key like Num Lock or Caps Lock, which have a state that persists after the key is released.

Today, this particular use of Scroll Lock is rare. Only a few modern programs still honor this behavior, such as Lotus Notes, Forté Agent, and FL Studio. In modern GUI environments, scrolling is usually accomplished using means such as scrollbars or scroll wheels. Therefore, Scroll Lock can be regarded as a defunct feature in almost all modern programs and operating systems.
--- End quote ---

God bless wikipedia:

Wiki Link

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version