ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

What path to take for learning Web Development?

(1/3) > >>

Proximo:
I know this topic will have many different opinions, but I am honestly ready to start learning how to develop web applications.

My focus is on Web Applications at the moment, so I am wondering what would be a good suggested path of learning.

Should I learn XHTML, HTML5 and CSS first?

What language should I learn first to get my feet wet and what to move onto from there?

I am a 100% complete novice with very no experience.  I have some ideas for web applications that I want to create myself, but at first I want to simply learn the very basics and create simple web applications for fun.

I am a 3D Designer and Animator by profession, so I am a visual type person.  Programming in my eyes seems like the most complicated thing in the world, so please suggest the simplest approach for me to get going. 

Should I start with a particular language because it's easy to learn and then transition to something more involved?

Do I need to have a grasp of HTML and CSS before I even get going?

Any information would be appreciated.   

Codebyte:
Honestly, I would try your best to pickup XHTML and CSS first. Since you are visually talented, this should be a pretty simple task with a little code mixed in. When you understand XHTML and CSS and how they work together, you should be able to pickup JS (Javascript) pretty easily. My love for Javascript has grown fond over the past year. The combination of the three (XHTML, CSS, and JS) can be some pretty insane web apps.

After you feel pretty good with those 3, you can experiment with a little PHP to make things work server-side, ie. - storing data, handling data, validating logins, etc.

Just a fair warning - Web Development can be ADDICTING.

If at any point you need help with anything, always feel free to send me a PM.

jpijper:
Honestly, I would try your best to pickup XHTML and CSS first.
-Codebyte (September 20, 2010, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I second this, and want to add that I think www.w3schools.com might be a good place to start.

Jan Roelof

Proximo:
You guys are fantastic.

I won't lie when I tell you that I am excited and scared at the same time.  I am diving into a world that I am not familiar with at all.  I just get frustrated when I find a web app that does too much or not enough and I would like to just make it myself.  :D

Should I leave HTML5 alone for now? 

I know everything is going forward with HTML5 but the standard is not yet fully released if I remember correctly.  I guess if I learn XHTML, I should be able to pick up on the HTML5 later.

pyrohacker:
Just a fair warning - Web Development can be ADDICTING.
-Codebyte (September 20, 2010, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
I have to wholeheartedly agree with this.  It's unhealthy at times, but it's true.

Just to let you know who this is coming from:  I am a visual person as well, and I do lots of hobby work with graphic design and typography.   I consider myself a web programmer and I was 100% able to teach myself web programming.

As far as web applications go, HTML is for structuring the page, CSS is for designing the page (the visual part; you should like this), and JavaScript is for powering the page.  They're all fairly simple languages, and it's incredible how well they integrate and work together.  You have to expect that, though, since they were designed to work together.

I would suggest you start off learning HTML in whatever way you feel is best, be it books, online tutorials, or just jumping right in.  (HTML5 is just an extension of basic HTML, and you won't need to know much about it while you are learning.)

I'd like to showcase EloquentJavascript.net as a wonderful JavaScript tutorial and reference.  It's where I learned JavaScript, and it's great for anyone who wants to learn.  It's especially satisfying if you understand cultural references.  :D

www.w3schools.com is also a great tool, and I learned how to use CSS there.  But I now use it as more of a reference than a tutorial, due to the fact that it's, well, reference-like.  Great site, though.

Good luck, Proximo!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version