ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Awesome photos

<< < (5/5)

tomos:
If you have time, check Sugar: The Bitter Truth.
-Renegade (September 22, 2010, 02:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was quite interesting, takes a good lecturer to make even the biochemistry stuff not that dull.
-Jibz (November 03, 2010, 03:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

also posted, with some discussion, in this thread: How much soda (pop) do you drink?

tomos:
Wow, Picture #61.  When was toothpaste invented?
-mateek (November 03, 2010, 12:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Apparently well before facial soap. :D
-Renegade (November 03, 2010, 12:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd say this guy (photo #70) had a hard time getting clean at the end of the day...

Awesome photos

Rocketboy:
Interesting.

This is kind of off topic, but I couldn't help but notice...

Count how many fat people are in there. Here's the total.

Now, the next time you are in a public place with 20 or more people, count. Compare.

-Renegade (September 20, 2010, 02:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Naa.. it couldn't have anything to do with our higher standard of living, greater leisure time, and overall easier way of life.

Just corn sugar.

app103:
Interesting.

This is kind of off topic, but I couldn't help but notice...

Count how many fat people are in there. Here's the total.

Now, the next time you are in a public place with 20 or more people, count. Compare.

-Renegade (September 20, 2010, 02:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Naa.. it couldn't have anything to do with our higher standard of living, greater leisure time, and overall easier way of life.

Just corn sugar.
-Rocketboy (November 04, 2010, 12:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

What is that I see on the table in photo #17?  Is that what I think it is? Why, yes it is! It's a big red bucket of Karo corn syrup!

It was a lot cheaper than cane sugar, molasses, honey, and maple syrup and was often used by people as a substitute for all of them, long before the food industry began using it in soft drinks and junk food. Yeah, people used it a lot back then and even put it in their coffee! Women that bottle fed their babies instead of breast feeding used to mix up their own infant formula, consisting of cow's milk, water, and corn syrup. Early commercial infant formulas were the exact same thing. Corn syrup use became even more popular during WW2 when cane sugar was hard to get and its purchase was rationed. During the war, cane sugar was reserved for use only in things in which corn syrup or sweetened condensed milk couldn't be substituted, such as baking cookies (granulated cane sugar mixed with some sort of fat is required for proper cookie texture).

tomos:
Curious how corn syrup compares to other processed sugars I did a search:
What is Corn Syrup? (www.wisegeek.com)

the pulpy middle layer called cornstarch is first separated from the outer husk and the inner germ layers. The cornstarch is then stored in giant vats, where natural enzymes are added to break it down into glucose.
[...]
Light and dark corn syrup both have a balance of dextrose, fructose, malt and glucose to keep them chemically stable, although corn syrup does have a limited shelf life compared to other sweeteners. The most controversial form of corn syrup, however, is rarely sold directly to consumers, although it can be found in a majority of processed foods sold in grocery stores. Welcome to the world of high fructose corn syrup.
--- End quote ---
(my emphasis)

I'm basing these comments on Renegade's linked video (and it's a while since I looked at it!):
Glucose is what the body is 'designed' to work with - it breaks down all foods to glucose before they actually can get used by the body.
The corn syrup seems therefore to be a healthier sweetner than the regular processed sugars, and certainly better than the High Fructose versions of anything -  which amongst other things suppress the body's natural system of letting us know when we're full.

I dont know personally ... there's so many theories - but I did find Renegade's video link fascinating, and very convincing.
I suspect though, as others are saying that the lifestyle at the time made a huge difference too...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version