ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Betanews.com - What was once a great site, is no longer

<< < (2/5) > >>

4wd:
Here is an example of why I dislike the BN rating system. This is my first visit to a topic:
 (see attachment in previous post)
All of the replies have been rated down thus requiring a click to view content
-Josh (September 19, 2010, 04:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, the rating system is crap - it has always been crap and next to useless...but the reason for all the negative rating is because some people have actually found a use for such a crap system.

They rate every comment negatively, (even their own), once they've read them so that they can immediately see new comments when they log in without having to wade through them all again.

Until BetaNews gets a better system, (and let's face it, if you can have people rating programs in the FileForum when it's obvious they haven't even tried them - is it even likely to happen?), if people want to make the best of the current crap system, more power to them.

I tend to ignore all the program ratings and only read the article comments because they're a good laugh sometimes.

Darwin:
I tend to ignore all the program ratings and only read the article comments because they're a good laugh sometimes.
-4wd (November 08, 2010, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

That they are - the vitriol and the ignorance displayed not only inspires laughter but incredulity as well!

JavaJones:
Oh yes, no doubt, Betanews is crap now. Fileforum not much better. I get all my content from both sites through RSS now so I very, very seldom visit the site. And 90% of the articles I just skim and mark read. Especially Joe Wilcox. :P

- Oshyan

Bamse:
Some developers still seem to rate review mess highly http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/JunctionMaster-/1293685503/1 see jcollake

Josh:
THREAD RESURRECTION POWERS, ACTIVATE!!!

I just have to say that the situation is getting far worse. Looking at BN/FF now, the site is overrun with very invasive ads. The articles are now obviously shills where some company has paid one of the writers to review a product. The product reviews are targetted at novice users, not the tech crowd which usually visits the site. The articles are no longer news worthy and merely blog posts with opinion pieces that are designed to be nothing more than click bait.

I am officially done with this site. R.I.P. Betanews, maybe one day you will find your way again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version