ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Portable apps suites - is there a good one?

<< < (8/8)

superboyac:
I've noticed that PortableApps on a thumb drive doesn't do the autorun in Windows 7. Just FYI.
-Deozaan (September 06, 2010, 09:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes: Windows 7 has disabled auto-run on thumb drives by default (it's not only about PortableApps). This was an excellent decision make by Microsoft, because auto-run was a perfect way to propagate malware. Every XP/Vista machine I installed, I always turned off auto-run before anything else. Minor annoyance for some use cases, but a good decision, I believe.
-ajp (September 17, 2010, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've gotten one like that myself, last year.  My sister got some facebook malware on my mom's laptop.  i couldn't do anything on the laptop, so i had to use a portable virus program to clean it from my usb.  but then, i took that usb drive to work and infected my work computer.  I cleaned it eventually, but I was super pissed at my little sis.  Then, my older sister got a very similar thing, and it happened right when I was sitting there while she was on facebook.  It was pretty clever, so I didn't blame them.

munyard:
I don't pretend to know which are best, but I've got some mileage out of placing my Portable Applications in C:\Apps and then using Folder Share aka Windows Live Sync to sync that directory/folder between my work and home PC's.  This ensures that the micro & portable applications I enjoy are easily accessible although I should probably look for a way to reliably sync C:\Apps with my Thumb Drive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version