topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Another reason to drop Kaspersky?  (Read 46029 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Another reason to drop Kaspersky?
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2011, 11:13 AM »
Agree with f0dder - I haven't opted out, either. To my mind, security is one of the areas in which sharing information is valid and useful, particularly when dealing with reputable companies.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2011, 11:15 AM »
Cut down on the paranoia.

This is Microsoft - if anything dubious was being sent back to them, the whole internet would be in uproar with pitchforks and torches. And the bits and pieces sent back to them helps a lot in discovering new pieces of malware as well as keeping false positives low.

I'm not a fan of sending back data, but this is one of the things I haven't opted out of.
That's reasonable.  Still, if it's available, I'll opt out.  I'll try it again, but can someone confirm the opt thing?

:huh:  Not to be dense, but what sort of confirmation do you need? Are you seeking someone who HAS opted out to verify that doing so REALLY results in no data being sent back to the MS mother ship?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2011, 11:17 AM »
:huh:  Not to be dense, but what sort of confirmation do you need? Are you seeking someone who HAS opted out to verify that doing so REALLY results in no data being sent back to the MS mother ship?
I just wanted to know if you CAN opt out.  Nobody has said definitely "yes you can".  Only you think you can.  i tried it less than 4 weeks ago and I couldn't find a way to opt out.  That's all.  I mean, once I go home, I'll know for sure.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2011, 11:21 AM »
That's reasonable.  Still, if it's available, I'll opt out.  I'll try it again, but can someone confirm the opt thing?

In version 1.x the choice was between sending a little less information to MS and sending a little more.

In version 2.x, fresh out of beta, there is a "No, thanks" option as well.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2011, 11:22 AM »
That's reasonable.  Still, if it's available, I'll opt out.  I'll try it again, but can someone confirm the opt thing?

In version 1.x the choice was between sending a little less information to MS and sending a little more.

In version 2.x, fresh out of beta, there is a "No, thanks" option as well.
Thanks tranglos.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  It sounds like you are using it.  Are you happy with it's performance like Darwin?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2011, 11:23 AM »
Ah, yes I see. AFAICT, the first option as shown in Timns screenshot should allow you to opt out completely. As noted, I haven't opted out and don't intend to, but I can confirm that the option is present in MSE 2.0.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2011, 11:28 AM »
Ah, yes I see. AFAICT, the first option as shown in Timns screenshot should allow you to opt out completely. As noted, I haven't opted out and don't intend to, but I can confirm that the option is present in MSE 2.0.
Nice.  Great to know.  Man, I swear just last month, that first option wasn't there.  Just the other two.  Hmmm, I may be losing it.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2011, 11:29 AM »
I'll try it again, but can someone confirm the opt thing?
Yup, it's there for the current version of MSE - my version numbers:
Security Essentials Version: 2.0.657.0
Antimalware Client Version: 3.0.8107.0
Engine Version: 1.1.6402.0
Antivirus definition: 1.95.3750.0
Antispyware definition: 1.95.3750.0
Network Inspection System Engine Version: 2.0.5854.0
Network Inspection System Definition Version: 9.1.0.0

Still, any rational reasons for wanting to opt-out?
- carpe noctem

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2011, 12:02 PM »
My reason is that I just don't like to send information anywhere.  It doesn't matter to me whether I'm helping MS or not.  I'm not saying it's not good to send info back, i just wouldn't do it.  I don't have a technical reason for it other than I just like the idea of never sending anything anywhere unless I'm deliberately trying to.  I'm a control freak, in case you haven't noticed.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2011, 01:59 PM »
It sounds like you are using it.  Are you happy with it's performance like Darwin?

I am indeed. It is quite unobtrusive, too. I never see it or feel its presence unless I deliberately open the interface. But, I have yet to see my first alert from MSE.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2011, 04:41 PM »
i think I'm done with Kaspersky also.  It keeps flagging one of my exe's as a virus...and the virus definition name is "not a virus", funny enough.  So I double checked to see if it's actually a virus, and it's not.  So I try making an exclusion.  I successfully created an exclusion for it...but it does nothing.  Every time it gets scanned, it deletes the file.  I have no idea what the exclusion does.  It's like the application is acting like an asshole.  I've tried doing the exclusion a couple of different ways, and it just doesn't work the way I want it too.  It seems like the only thing the exclusions does is allow the file to exist UNTIL it gets scanned.  I don't know what that means.  It means, before the exclusion, I couldn't even have the exe around, it would just not be allowed.  After the exclusion, the file is allowed to be there, but any time a manual scan is run, it will get deleted.  There's no way around it.  Kaspersky is really pissing me off, I think I'm done with it.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2011, 06:09 PM »
I just have to reiterate, even though I've said this before...
Without Kaspersky, my computer is SOOOOOO fast.  Do AV programs really have to bog down computers this much?  Really?  I'm not saying we don't need AV protection, but is it really that necessary for the performance to suffer this much because of it?  I mean, Kaspersky is a well respected name in the AV business. It's not Norton or anything, but even Kas has gone the way of bloat and bog the past several years.  I've heard similar stories about NOD, though maybe not as much.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2011, 06:14 PM »
I do have to say, I am very pleased to have switched to MSE recently for just those reasons: flab! So far, MSE feels amazingly "light" on the system - especially considering it's an MS product.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2011, 08:14 PM »
I do have to say, I am very pleased to have switched to MSE recently for just those reasons: flab! So far, MSE feels amazingly "light" on the system - especially considering it's an MS product.
You know...I have to agree 100%.  I just replaced Kaspersky with MSE, and it's pretty darn good.  The interface is clear, simple, and effective.  It seems as though all the options and tweaks are in the right spots without too much confusion, something that Kaspersky has lost its mind with lately.  It's very light!  Everything is faster on my computer, by quite a bit!  I'm so happy about it!  F-U Kasperksy.  That's what I have to say to that.

And good job by Microsoft for making an excellent product.  We'll see if I'll miss the quantity of features that KIS had, but it doesn't seem like it.  All that stuff was a big headache, and if I analyze my habits in the past few years, I'll admit that what I usually did was just turn annoying things off.  So what's the point of having this big suite if you're going to just turn things off?  Good work, MS, you got it right.