topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Another reason to drop Kaspersky?  (Read 46041 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Another reason to drop Kaspersky?
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2010, 01:17 AM »
If less people were using Windows, malware / trojans problems could be more manageable.  Hence the (not happening) shift to Mac, Linux, BSD etc
There, ftfy.
- carpe noctem

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2010, 07:35 AM »
Dear f0dder

In a roundabout way - you do agree the problem is windows <grin>

I agree for general public - there is  still no shift from Windows -> other OS's in 2011, but for geeks, nerds.... surely its happening now ?

SKA

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2010, 08:56 AM »
ftfy?

On point, though, surely if less people were using Windows, security issues with other OS's would rise accordingly, regardless of any built in process monitoring? Look at the increase in nasty stuff written to target OSX. I think that Linux is less susceptible to security issues not only for the much touted reason that "its market share is infintesimal so why bother writing malware, viri, trojans, etc. for it" but also because Linux users are generally far more tech savvy than most and are more likely to montior actiivity on their systems. No?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2010, 11:39 AM »
ftfy?

I had to google it -
fixed that for you :)
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2010, 12:24 PM »
Googled it? Why didn't I think of that?! Thank you, Tom  :Thmbsup: :-*

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2010, 09:01 AM »
...and so we're discussing these things and thinking about them and scratching our heads, figuring our the best way, trying to do the right thing... and then you see this on the website of a big IT hardware vendor:

Disable your anti-virus scan prior to downloading any products

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2010, 09:06 AM »
 ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2010, 09:08 AM »
...and so we're discussing these things and thinking about them and scratching our heads, figuring our the best way, trying to do the right thing... and then you see this on the website of a big IT hardware vendor:

Disable your anti-virus scan prior to downloading any products

A number of installers recommend that you disable AV/AS software during installation as well...

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2010, 01:40 PM »
But is that because security programs conflicts with installer or because there is little trust in users ability to handle popups and questions? Experience might suggest developers to cover their butt because of paranoid/clueless users who mess up installation with their protection shields. Who to blaime?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2010, 01:50 PM »
Bamse - I'm sure that the answer is the latter of your suggestions, rather than the former, but WTF? I guess we have to blame the clueless end-user, education must be the answer.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2010, 02:18 PM »
Clueless end-user who thanks to marketing pay for advanced security software but not prepared or able to manage it correctly. MSE is about the level majority can manage, ends most "need for whatever new layer of defense" debates. More advanced stuff which can create problems in mysterious ways is for the chosen ones. KISS and less marketing BS is the answer :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2010, 07:47 AM »
Just an update - lately (Sunbelt's) VIPRE has been well-behaved and I have even been able to turn on the option to have Active Protection scan files and folders as they are opened with no hit to my system again. Turns out, after digging through their forum, that the problem I had was related to a defintion update in September that was subsequently patched.

All is well...

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2010, 08:18 AM »
I have started thinking about looking for alternatives myself.

I have used Kaspersky products for years, and have always been happy with them.

But the last couple of versions feel like they are getting slower and more obnoxious. I can't complain about the protection, which has worked fine. But every time it updates my computer is more and more unresponsive, sometimes locking up repeatedly for seconds. And I seem to spend more and more time looking at the "new application has been started" progress dialog on my screen.

Also, the last two product upgrades were a pain .. I ended up having to use a removal tool from their forums to get rid of the old version before the new would install.

Part of it is probably because I am running on a single-core machine with 1GB of mem, and they are targeting more recent hardware. Maybe I shouldn't have upgraded to 2010 and 2011 versions.

But in the end, I am feeling more and more annoyed by how much KIS is interrupting my work.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:20 AM by Jibz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2010, 03:48 PM »
They are making the program too bloated.  There's no reason why the program needs current hardware to run.  It's not like it's the latest gaming engine or anything.  If it ran fast 5 years ago, it should run even faster.  It's not like AV suites do anything different now compared to 5 years ago.  They can do it, they just don't care about it.  And not enough of us make a stink about it to make them care, so that's how software eventually becomes bloated.

And the program is getting worse.  The last two version don't "react" properly, in my opinion.  There are many times when I'll click to update the signatures, and it lets you press the button, but nothing happens.  Then it starts several minutes later.  And the download speed of those few megabytes of signatures is really slow.  And sometimes, it will detect something, and that big button turns red.  So I click on it to fix it, I confirm "Neutralize" or whatever option is shown, and even after confirming a couple of times, nothing happens.  Then I keep clicking it and nothing happens.  The button stays red.  Then i come back a few minutes later and it's green again.  But I have no idea what is happening.  Am I crazy to expect something to happen when I click a big huge red button that says "Fix it Now!"??  I hate bloat so freaking much.

I get such enormous pleasure when I find a software that is simple and fast.  I love it when I click on things and the reaction time is really fast.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2010, 08:17 PM »
  I'm waiting for my KAV license to expire also.  I'm running version 8 now, because the later versions won't allow you to have Comodo Firewall or Spybot S&D installed on your computer.  It's an anti-competition type thing that's been going on for a couple of years now.  With v8, I had to uninstall Comodo Firewall and Spybot, install KAV, then reinstall Comodo & Spybot.  With KAV v9, you couldn't even do that, it wouldn't allow it.
  I'll probably go with Comodo Internet security since I'm so impressed with their firewall.  Best firewall I've ever used, and extremely configurable....
  For those of you that don't know Comodo, it's free and not restricted in any way.  They have a paid version for businesses, but it has features (paid services) that the ordinary user wouldn't need.

ssoundman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2010, 01:50 PM »
FYI regarding Microsoft Security Essentials.  Starting in October, in addition to being free for home use, it will also be free to small businesses with up to 10 computers.

http://www.eweek.com...l-Businesses-148952/

Great news! Been testing it for a while for my wife and wishing it was a legal install for me. We love it on her Win7 32bit laptop.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2011, 09:24 AM »
I think I'm just about done with Kaspersky.  I've been getting too many false positives lately, and it keeps popping up warnings about things (MS office, FARR).  You know, truth be told, I have no idea if something is a false positive or not, how are you supposed to know?  And now I'm suspicious so it's even worse.

I have like 2 years left on my license, but I may just forget about it.  Maybe I'll go try F-Secure.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2011, 10:05 AM »
Maybe I'll go try F-Secure.
MSE, man... MSE.
- carpe noctem

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2011, 10:38 AM »
MSE, man... MSE.
I tried MSE.  They have that part where they say they will send your results back to microsoft.  And you can't disable it at all.  I'd even pay for it if I could get rid of it.  But I can't.

I'd rather pay for F-Secure, than to have my data being sent around.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2011, 10:44 AM »
I was going to recommend MSE as well...

Superboyac - in MSE 2.0 you can opt out of SpyNet - your data is not sent to MS if  you select "I do not want to join Spynet" in Settings.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2011, 10:46 AM »
MSE, man... MSE.
I tried MSE.  They have that part where they say they will send your results back to microsoft.  And you can't disable it at all.  I'd even pay for it if I could get rid of it.  But I can't.

Maybe they changed that recently. There's an opt-out in the settings.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2011, 10:49 AM »
Maybe they changed that recently. There's an opt-out in the settings.
Can you confirm for me?  because I tried it less than a month ago.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2011, 10:58 AM »
Thus:

poink.jpgAnother reason to drop Kaspersky?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2011, 11:06 AM »

Cut down on the paranoia.

This is Microsoft - if anything dubious was being sent back to them, the whole internet would be in uproar with pitchforks and torches. And the bits and pieces sent back to them helps a lot in discovering new pieces of malware as well as keeping false positives low.

I'm not a fan of sending back data, but this is one of the things I haven't opted out of.
- carpe noctem

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2011, 11:13 AM »
Cut down on the paranoia.

This is Microsoft - if anything dubious was being sent back to them, the whole internet would be in uproar with pitchforks and torches. And the bits and pieces sent back to them helps a lot in discovering new pieces of malware as well as keeping false positives low.

I'm not a fan of sending back data, but this is one of the things I haven't opted out of.
That's reasonable.  Still, if it's available, I'll opt out.  I'll try it again, but can someone confirm the opt thing?