ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Another reason to drop Kaspersky?

<< < (10/18) > >>

superboyac:
I meant support section of site not so much forum - which you can use for searching, tried "slow"? I thought they helped with removal of infections as well but apparently not. Most similar forums are also protective of their stuff and even most neutral or almost neutral security forums are also crazy if you ask for help, like insist on removing any p2p software, including utorrent. They must have policies any idiot can follow or they risk doing wrong :)
-Bamse (September 28, 2010, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
I searched their forum and support pretty thoroughly last month, and didn't find any particularly useful information.  Again, it's hard to go to the actual developer's forum and try to get an unbiased answer.  If I say my computer is slow because of Kaspersky, they'll say "No, you just have some conflicting settings with other programs."  I can't really ask what are the effects of disabling certain components and expect an honest answer.  They'll say, "Well, we don't recommend putting yourself at risk, and if configured properly, the components should not be slowing your computer down."  So we go around in circles with no solution.

But the real problem is: Security software will slow down your computer.  The manufacturer will not want to help you to figure which components can be disabled for performance.  That will be like admitting their software is bloated.  Why would they do that?  So they will always revert back to, "What is wrong with your computer?  Surely, it can't be Kaspersky!"

Most other forums are really really bad and unhelpful.  That's why I just stick to here if I can help it.

Bamse:
It is not the easiest type of program to give advise on. Conflicting programs could be your real problem even though you exclude that possibility. Security programs = potential for head aching troubleshooting. Just the way it is and KIS being one of the most feature rich makes it worse. Resort to good old exclusion method, I did not say "trial and error" as a way to ignore problem. What you can do. A more positive way of putting it is tweaking or personalizing program.

You have a local problem which must be solved locally but not what you like to read. How can others tell you what to do? With security software it can be risky to suggest since every move must be adjusted to what computer is used for and by who. And what is the point of using KIS if you disable main features? How about you got stubborn and adapted to trial and error mode? :) Hours of fun but if you would really prefer to keep Kaspersky avoid program is flawed, I am a victim, official help is useless thoughts. Go Kaspersky works for everyone else but me and I have messed up. What give best result?

tranglos:
In the Kaspersky forums, they always demand you send them ALL of your computer information (using the ksapersky collect information tool) before they even consider answering any questions.  And then, after sending them all your info, they tell you you're using some cracked version of some little program and because of that they can't help you.  It's almost as if they think they're the piracy police of the entire internet.
-superboyac (September 28, 2010, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder if you realize how close you are to the actual/factual truth. Internet police is exactly what Eugene Kaspersky (the founder) wants to be:
http://www.zdnetasia.com/microsoft-onecare-was-good-enough-62058697.htm

SpoilerQ: What's wrong with the design of the Internet?
A: There's anonymity. Everyone should and must have an identification, or Internet passport. The Internet was designed not for public use, but for American scientists and the U.S. military. That was just a limited group of people--hundreds, or maybe thousands. Then it was introduced to the public and it was wrong…to introduce it in the same way. 'd like to change the design of the Internet by introducing regulation--Internet passports, Internet police  and international agreement--about following Internet standards. And if some countries don't agree with or don't pay attention to the agreement, just cut them off.
(More at the link)

On edit: there's even better, but the link is dead:

Government should control 'Net, Kaspersky says at CeBIT

Joris Evers, IDG News Service\Amsterdam Bureau
March 13, 2003, 06:40

Governments of the world have to take control of the Internet to save
it from buckling under the increasing pressure of worms, viruses and
other cyberattacks, Eugene Kaspersky, head of antivirus research at
Kaspersky Labs Ltd. of Moscow said.

http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=791234

--- End quote ---

superboyac:
Wow!!  Is he out of his mind!?  I had no idea, man.  Wow.  it almost makes me want to stop using his program.  I don't agree with that at all.
Why do all big companies want to ruin our freedom?  They continue to show such disdain for the people.  I'm sorry, but the Eugene is nuts.  The man has lost touch with the people.  I love how companies always take the easy way out when things get complicated.  There are viruses?  Oh my, we should shut down the internet!  People are unlocking their cell phones??  Oh my, we should shut down the 3G network!  The smart people can figure out solutions that make both sides happy.  The lazy say just shut it down.

SKA:
In defense of Kaspersky:
He knows his co's resources are not enough , and Govts have more resources than his company, to combat malwares worldwide. He was just trying to enlist their support, that's all.

In offense at MS:
If robust file & process sensors("monitors?") came in-built in Windows OS's, malware / trojans problems could be more manageable.  Hence the shift to Mac, Linux, BSD etc

SKA

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version