ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Another reason to drop Kaspersky?

<< < (7/18) > >>

Bamse:
If you dump Kaspersky you could test Mamutu with a normal superfast AV program. If not MSE then one which lets you keep Windows Defender active. 65% discount http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/Mamutu.shtml but test it first of course. Make your own little suite. Is lightweight, well read what they claim http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/mamutu/ Has a paranoid mode with lots of pop ups but in normal it is not much trouble. You probably should not test with Kaspersky installed. If you also encrypt passwords, use password manager in one way or another, is that not enough? If you bought a suite to avoid collecting stuff left and right this will not be too interesting.

superboyac:
Well, just last night, my computer was hanging.  I had like 20 windows open of different stuff, and then things just started hanging.  I opened task manager to see that Kaspersky (avp.exe) was using like 280MB of memory!  Now, i don't really know what that means, but the next largest item was using only 50MB memory.  I killed the avp.exe, and everything got unfrozen and was working top-speed!  Man, I f-ing hate AV programs if not for the protection.

I wonder if it would be better to try something like Mamutu for the real-time monitoring, and using Kaspersky to run weekly or daily scans.  Is that good?

Bamse, I'll have to check out those links later.

Darwin:
Well, I suspect that this may be related to you AV checking files as they are opened or copied. Does Kapersky have an option in its real-time protection settings to turn OFF checking files? I've noticed that this problem exacerbates itself when running a tabbed internet browser...

superboyac:
Well, I suspect that this may be related to you AV checking files as they are opened or copied. Does Kapersky have an option in its real-time protection settings to turn OFF checking files? I've noticed that this problem exacerbates itself when running a tabbed internet browser...
-Darwin (September 27, 2010, 10:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think you are right.  I'm going to look into that.  It's always either the memory leak in Firefox slowing my computer down, or it's Kaspersky.  But, man, after I killed the Kaspersky exe, my computer was SOOOOO fast.

Darwin:
-Darwin (September 27, 2010, 10:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think you are right.  I'm going to look into that.  It's always either the memory leak in Firefox slowing my computer down, or it's Kaspersky.  But, man, after I killed the Kaspersky exe, my computer was SOOOOO fast.
-superboyac (September 27, 2010, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I hear ya... I'm uneasy about turning this feature off in VIPRE, but that is what Sunbelt recommends. As noted elsewhere, I was amazed at VIPRE's light footprint but lately it's getting bigger. I'm probably going to run MSE when my current VIPRE subscription ends.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version