ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Another reason to drop Kaspersky?

<< < (5/18) > >>

patthecat:
Yes, MS Security Essentials has a setting to turn off it's real time protection.   For the past year I've had it running on my Win 7 laptop, no issues so far.  Even if you have Windows Autoupdate turned off, MS Essentials will still update its database daily which is a good thing.  It also creates a system restore point before database updates and you can choose to create system restore point before daily scanning of computer (if you have daily scanning enabled).

tranglos:
Yes, MS Security Essentials has a setting to turn off it's real time protection.
-patthecat (September 24, 2010, 09:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can now see that it does, but not in the tray menu - you have to go all the way into the configuration (and re-enable it manually). I can live with that, but there is something else that I don't like at all. MSSE says it will transmit information about what it removes or does not remove, and that information may include your personal data... and you cannot disable it at all:

Another reason to drop Kaspersky?

Out of the frying pan, into the !@#$% fire!

f0dder:
Thanks, tranglos.  Let us know how that goes.  I'm still toying with the idea of turning everything off and just running daily scans while I'm sleeping or at work.-superboyac (September 24, 2010, 05:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Bad idea - if you get hit with a rootkit, the daily scan isn't going to catch it.

Microsoft Security Essentials seems to do a pretty good job, and doesn't get in my way.

Stoic Joker:
If you get hit with a really new rootkit, chances are a realtime scan won't catch it either.

In a choice between reduced permissions solid results, and system crippling AV software's crap-shoot results... I'm on the fence here worse then ever (LUA never FPs). I'm currently still running MSE, but I've got more faith in a plain user account.

f0dder:
Stoic Joker: true - and I don't know whether MSE is purely signature-based or has heuristics... if it's purely signature-based, you're definitey SOL. With a degree of heuristics, you have a chance of fending off a new rootkit (malware writers will definitely be focusing a LOT on slipping past MSE, though).

As for LUAs, they're great, and I love how Vista has made it bearable to have your main account as a LUA. But we can't rule out 0-day privilege escalation, so IMHO running LUA is only part of the security solution.

MSE is great and relatively lightweigtht - I do feel a bit of a hit in application loadtime, but not nearly as much as I've had with other solutions. MsMpEng.exe weighs in ~180meg of private bytes, though - not a problem for me, but it's somewhat of a hit for lower-end machines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version