ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Another reason to drop Kaspersky?

<< < (3/18) > >>

f0dder:
You shouldn't worry about MBR infections, they're pretty much a thing of the past. But you should worry about malware installing rootkits... get a particularly nasty one of those, and it's game over - you won't even be able to detect it without running an offline scan from recovery media.

superboyac:
I would be VERY interested in a discussion about how to specifically configure our programs to work in a way where we are still protected essentially, but also not sacrificing in speed or performance, AND no annoying nuisances like what tranglos has experienced here.

For example:  I use kaspersky.  I'd like to know which modules I can disable without being a big deal.  I've disabled the anti-spam because I use another program for that, and the same goes for the anti-banner component (I use ad muncher).  But how about the firewall?  how necessary is that?  How about the live monitoring?  Do I need that?  Should I set it up to just scan the folder I download files to?  I mean, it doesn't have to scan everything all the time, does it?  how much risk would I be taking if I do that?  Do I even need a scanner?  What if I scan just in the evenings after I sleep?  Etc. etc.

I think it would be beneficial to discuss how to configure our pc's in this way.  Because these AV companies are ALL going the bloat route, and its the kind of software that most definitely affects your computer's performance.

Also, I am NOT interested in solutions that are like, "be more careful in the way you use your computer."  that doesn't help anything.  Let's operate under the assumption that we are horrible computer users and we come across shady sites on a daily basis.  I want my mind free of those concerns.

Bamse:
Is Kaspersky mandatory? If so check their forum. You are unlikely to alone.

I do not understand those who buy peace/security packages and then later complain and ask WHY? 1 advice. Keep Kaspersky running but install Virtualbox/VMware Player. Go nuts on your shady sites, by which I assume you mean download sites, and then evaluate what is needed for "protection". You need to get some facts on real life problems which are easier to understand and deal with than trying to understand lingo from X or Y product. KISS principle is great for security. 

patthecat:
FYI regarding Microsoft Security Essentials.  Starting in October, in addition to being free for home use, it will also be free to small businesses with up to 10 computers.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Microsoft-Security-Essentials-to-Target-Small-Businesses-148952/

f0dder:
FYI regarding Microsoft Security Essentials.  Starting in October, in addition to being free for home use, it will also be free to small businesses with up to 10 computers.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Microsoft-Security-Essentials-to-Target-Small-Businesses-148952/
-patthecat (September 24, 2010, 11:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
Indeed :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version