topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Turn Windows path into URL?  (Read 6525 times)

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Turn Windows path into URL?
« on: September 15, 2010, 10:14 AM »
I know this must be out there somewhere, but it's one of those things that's Google-resistant since the terms bring up so many unrelated results.

What I want to do is convert a Windows file system path into a correctly formed "file://" URL as quickly as possible. Context menu to copy the URL to the clipboard would be the optimal solution. Something I could pipe the path through via the Send To folder would also work.

I could probably hammer this out in AHK in a few hours if I rolled up my sleeves, but I just KNOW I'd be reinventing the wheel.

Does anyone know of a tool that does this? The smaller and simpler (and freer) the better! Thanks!
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Turn Windows path into URL?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 10:46 AM »
try ClipName which has this feature.

... This new version supports copy of multiple filenames either as a space separated list or as a CRLF separated list. DOS filenames (8.3) can now also be copied as well as the URL encoded name and the UNC name for remote files. Clipname supports a Copy command for filenames without including any path, URL Encoding for multiple selections ...

ClipName_15_09_2010_001.png

http://www.mainsoft.fr/en/downloads.htm

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Exactly what I wanted! Installed & it works like a charm.

Thanks so much Lanux!
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:47 PM »
you're welcome, glad to be of help.. :)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 04:33 PM »
Listary can give filename, path, or path+filename.  I don't know if this feature is only in the Pro version, nor if it will do full UNC because I'm not on a network to test it.  Usefully, there's a portable version, and the basic version is free for personal use, otherwise $19.95 for Pro.  I bought my license when it was on Bits du Jour.