ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

www.exendo.se, the makers of history explorer

(1/2) > >>

MerleOne:
Hi,

I recently purchased a license of History Explorer (through bitsdujour), a software that manages nicely document revisions, by saving all versions (not very HDD space friendly I admit).

First, I got the license for V2.2, but the available download was 2.1 only.  I realized that when trial expired and when I tried to enter my license in the software.  Not a very good start.

Then, with 2.2 version, I came across a nasty & well hidden bug, which seems to occur when files having quotes (') in their names are monitored.  In that case , purging the database or removing old backups won't work.  They never acknowledged the issue and didn't even respond to my mails where I explained how I found this (took me some time).  I find this rather rude from them.

Too bad since it is quite easy to use and efficient.

rjbull:
If you're sufficiently cheesed off, you might like to compare it with AJC Active Backup, which has also featured on Bits du Jour.

wraith808:
I use History Explorer, and have been quite pleased with it.  There are a few niggling issues, but I haven't had any problems so far...  I'm on version 2.2.2, but I don't have any files with ' in the name...

IainB:
@MerleOne: Interesting post. I had not come across History Explorer before, so I went to the site and took a look around. It looks like a rather nifty document version backup/restore software.
I would suggest that the reason you have not had a response to your report of this "nasty & well hidden bug" is possibly because the software developers might not regard it as a bug at all. I recall that the DOS/Windows operating system did not used to accept as valid any characters that were (from memory) NOT in the ranges:

* Numeric: 0-9
* Alphabetic: A-Z
* Special characters: ().SPACE(I'm sure someone in the DC forum reading this would be able to specify exactly what the filename validation criteria were and currently are.)

The OS is a bit more tolerant now, but even so a lot of software continues with the historic standard for filename validation criteria.

Not surprising therefore that filenames with things like double quotes (")and hash marks (#) still throw some of these applications into a fit.
I have tripped over this problem so many times over the years that my approach now is that it's better to err on the side of caution and avoid using anything but the LCM (Lowest Common Denominator) - i.e., the base filename standard.

"a few niggling issues"
--- End quote ---
wraith808: Would you mind providing your "review" of this product? I am thinking about buying a licece after reading this post, but I would like to know what you meant by "a few niggling issues".

fenixproductions:
@IainB
Just my 2 cents…
I can't see an apostrophe mentioned in the table here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version