topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: photo editing help  (Read 3258 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
photo editing help
« on: September 14, 2010, 05:40 PM »
hello

can anyone help me with Adobe Photoshop? or any other photo editor

I need to select specific colors/shapes in a photo, Photoshop's magic wand seems to does this, however I don't know how accurate is (does it leave needed pixels outside from selection?)

then I need to crop the selection or delete the non-selected area etc

how can I do these actions?

thanks

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: photo editing help
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 04:13 AM »
I don't know what the modern version of Photo$hop can do. But in PhotoFiltre Studio X it is quite simple. As seen on the screenshot you can set the tolerance to anything between 0 and 100. Default is 30, 100 will mark all, but 0 is the exact colour or shape of your choice. For shapes, it may of course be a problem to make the program agree with you what tolerance is needed. But for colours it is easy, remembering that the colour now is marked wherever it is in the picture, which may be a problem of its own. I feel certain the marker in PhotoShop is even more capable (far more capable)!

"Farve" = Colour.

PhotoFiltreStudioX.GIF

http://www.photofiltre.com/

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 12:27 PM »
with photoshop you can use the color range tool (under the select menu) here is a youtube video to help you get started if you want.
[Insert really cool signature here]

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 09:05 AM »
thanks

I have any image with some colors including white, can you tell me please how convert the white to transparent, so that when I paste it in a MS Word document, the text behind it will show?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 11:28 AM »
I guess this means that is doesn't have to be a 'perfect' picture with extreme resolution? Normally they say that a fine photo cannot be in GIF format, but I say that if you can settle with a normal good picture, then GIF is a really useful format, because GIFs are not "big", but IrfanView's GIF format gives a very high picture quality. Much higher than the nominal 256 colours. MUCH much higher!

In IrfanView it is fantastic easy, because when you convert to GIF / save the image as GIF, IrfanView will ask you to click at any colour that should be made transparent (see attached screenshot). It is apparently also possible to make transparent areas in a PNG and JPeG, but I have never used these features.

If you install IrfanView (freeware) http://www.irfanview.com/ you really MUST also install the free BAxBEx Shell Extension for IrfanView http://www.baxbex.com/products.html (scroll ALL down). It is sooo useful, when converting.

When converting into / saving as GIF, in IrfanView, this box pops up:

>> Choose transparent color:
Click in the image to set the transparent color. Press ESC to ignore the transparent color. <<

IV2010-09-19.gif

Transparent colour chosen in a second with just one click!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 11:30 AM by Curt »