topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Which desktop application should i implement for NANY 2011?

Exercise/Workout Builder
6 (10.2%)
Webcam Recording/Diary Utility
21 (35.6%)
Touchscreen Pictureframe App
3 (5.1%)
Card/Board Game Protoyping Tools
22 (37.3%)
Something Else
7 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: NANY 2011 Poll To Help Decide Mouser's App  (Read 29688 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2011 Poll To Help Decide Mouser's App
« on: September 13, 2010, 10:57 PM »
I've already committed to finishing up a large web application for NANY 2011, but I've also committed to writing a new large desktop application.

But i'm having a hard time deciding what desktop application to write.  So i'm asking for some feedback about which program you'd most like to see.

I've listed 4 ideas that are currently on my mind, but i'm leaving the details vague.

• Exercise/Workout Builder - This is an idea to let people build custom workouts from modules that others build
  • Webcam Recording/Diary Utility - I have written a fairly extensive image and video browsing/recording tool for another project and was trying to think of a way to reuse some of the code and create something new; in some sense the easiest since i have much of the code, but it's the one idea that also needs to figure out what exactly novel it would do.
  • Touchscreen Pictureframe App - The idea for this is a program you would run on a touchscreen monitor mounted on the wall in a picture frame; it would let you configure screensavers, visual demo effects, special web pages, etc.; and easily cycle through them, kind of like an iphone style user interface that let you navigate between modules.
  • Card/Board Game Protoyping Tools - I've already written several scripts for board game designers to help prototype games; this idea is to take this to the next level.

So does anything on this list grab your attention?  Use the poll above to vote, and thanks for your input!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Poll To Help Decide Mouser's App
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 11:58 AM »
Oh man, a developer offering to write new software is like crack to me!  Ok, the one I totally want most is the webcam recording/diary utility.  That would be so awesome.  I know there are a lot of webcam software out there, but they are either too complicated or too lame.  Typical of most software these days.

I would love this thing.  I would offer any help I could.  I'd be a great person to use to beta test the development, provide graphics (icons, logos).  And my biggest strength would be to offer recommendations for the UI.

A mouser version of webcam software would be great.  It would be typically user-friendly, yet powerful, fast, and productive.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 01:47 PM »
A mouser version of webcam software would be great.  It would be typically user-friendly, yet powerful, fast, and productive.

And it would be called WURD: Webcam Utility for Recording a Diary.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 02:08 PM »
I wanted to vote for both of these:
# Touchscreen Pictureframe App - The idea for this is a program you would run on a touchscreen monitor mounted on the wall in a picture frame; it would let you configure screensavers, visual demo effects, special web pages, etc.; and easily cycle through them, kind of like an iphone style user interface that let you navigate between modules.
# Card/Board Game Protoyping Tools - I've already written several scripts for board game designers to help prototype games; this idea is to take this to the next level.

But I can only make one choice!  Decisions... decisions...

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Webcam Recording/Diary Utility +1

Just because I want to feel a little like the famous Start trek characters with their 'Captain's log, supplemental...'  :P

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 05:54 PM »
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT make an exercise/workout builder!

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 06:00 PM »
Yes... I would have liked two votes too  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 06:33 PM »
ok all can pick 2 now.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 11:11 PM »
ok all can pick 2 now.
Thanks.  i would be so pissed if the board game thing wins! ;D Board games!  really?!  how many board games can a user develop?  I can honestly say that I have never had even the slightest inkling to create a board game.  I must be the only normal one here. ;)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 12:06 AM »
ok all can pick 2 now.
Thanks.  i would be so pissed if the board game thing wins! ;D Board games!  really?!  how many board games can a user develop?  I can honestly say that I have never had even the slightest inkling to create a board game.  I must be the only normal one here. ;)

I'm not sure you can spend both your votes on the same option tho'??  :-\   ;D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 12:09 AM »
I can honestly say that I have never had even the slightest inkling to create a board game.  I must be the only normal one here. ;)

Ah, but what about a card game?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 07:09 AM »
Webcam Recording/Diary Utility +1

Just because I want to feel a little like the famous Start trek characters with their 'Captain's log, supplemental...'  :P
Okay when you put a Star Trek spin on it it does sound kinda cool.

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 04:21 AM »
Board Game prototyper:

An app with which you can make a functional board/card game by dragging and dropping some shapes, add some text, make various figures, include some logic rules (f.e. you have drawn the pause card and will skip the next 2 rounds) etc. would be fantastic.

I have had the inkling to make an actual educational board game for a while!

If the software could print out the board game plan and then glue it automatically on cardboard would be even better to minimize messing around with nasty glue. Can we have something like that? Please - pretty please - *glue neurosis*

And it should include a CADCAM prototyping tool linked directly to one of the RTM prototyping sites. And of course an animation engine so one can do animation like in battle chess!

And of course a little currency generator would be mandatory - ever played monopoly when broke? - No fun :-[!

Oh and there should also be some AI holographic co-player possibility with various personalities and agressiveness. Some people like a challenging and witty opponents other prefer docile player to boost their egos, young ones may want a Lady Gaga opponent - this should be taken into account. :Thmbsup:

I know mouser will whip this up in a jiffy in time for the holiday board game season.

Looking forward to it! *happiness radiating all over my face*
Regards, Brahman

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 12:09 PM »
Originally I voted based on the fact that I have neither a touchpad nor a webcam, so logically (and selfishly) I chose the Workout tool and the Card and Board Robot ;). However the "Webcam Recording/Diary Utility" sounds like a great way for parents to make a video scrapbook of their kids as they are growing up, so I changed my Workout/Exercise vote to the Webcam one.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 12:21 PM by daddydave »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 12:19 PM »
Since i have so much nice code already written for a webcam recording app / media browser, it's very appealing to be able to turn it into a full fledged new application.

But i think the main thing i need in that case is some brainstorming about what features would be interesting and novel.. just what would this application do that is special?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 12:32 PM »
Since i have so much nice code already written for a webcam recording app / media browser, it's very appealing to be able to turn it into a full fledged new application.

But i think the main thing i need in that case is some brainstorming about what features would be interesting and novel.. just what would this application do that is special?
Oh man, you don't realize what you're doing to me.  Ok, next week, I will present a list of features I would like to request.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 12:49 PM »
By the way.. people voting for Card/Board Game prototyping tools might be in for a very pleasant surprise.. i've been talking to another DC member (Codebyter) and we've been hashing out and testing some possibilities -- it's a big project but something i'm definitely interesting..

But that discussion might be continued on this thread.

ssoundman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 02:33 PM »

...the "Webcam Recording/Diary Utility" sounds like a great way for parents to make a video scrapbook of their kids as they are growing up...

I totally agree! I used to use iDailyDiary to note things my twin sons did so they could read it when they're older. How much cooler would it be for them to be able to SEE me record these things... hold up a picture they've drawn, see my facial expressions (if I don't break the camera  ;)), hear the intonations of my voice... Awesome idea!  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 02:35 PM »
One unique feature we might add to the webcam diary is a one-click burn to dvd option (leveredging an existing free dvd burning utility) that automatically makes menus based on year/month/day, etc.

ssoundman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 02:37 PM »
Yeah, that's good, mouser.

Would you be able to create options for saving video files to a hard drive as well, such as iPhone-compatable video files?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 02:52 PM »
you can already choose what format, compression, etc the video files are saved as.. but it might make sense to leave more elaborate conversion of video files to different formats for the good free tools that specialize in such stuff.

ssoundman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 02:55 PM »
Sweet. I'd volunteer to beta test this app for you, for sure!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 03:09 PM »
One idea i had a while ago is the idea of using it to help families create video autobiography type recordings of family members, by having the program prompt the person being recorded with one at a time questions from some large list, recording the video answers to each.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 03:47 PM »
mouser,

For the webcam/diary app, considering the diary aspect, it would be nice to have import capability for images, short vids - kids don't always do their thing(s) in front of a webcam, but a lot of kinder activity does get recorded on smart phones or small point-and-shoot digital cameras.

Also be kinda nice for recipe/cooking stuff, if you're into that sort of thing.

Visual notes for when words can't quite cover, donchano:  instead of describing green, show it  ;D.

Edit:  typos.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:49 PM by barney »

ssoundman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 03:56 PM »
The ability to import videos is a great idea; could either be done picture-in-picture with narration or in sequence. If picture-in-picture is out of the question perhaps a narrative audio track along with the imported video/audio would be do-able.

For example, I have a video of last year's Spring Concert, where the 3rd grade class was on stage singing and a kid did something really funny, and it'd be great to speak while the imported video/audio was going, to alert viewers to the upcoming highlight.

But maybe that's getting away from the intent of the application (I hope not! :D).

The option for an interview-type scenario is interesting. Sometimes you don't know what to say in a given situation ("Gee, I really should record something for my boys today, but I don't know what"), and a list of questions might give some ideas.