Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 23, 2014, 10:51:08 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: xkcdDownloader  (Read 3252 times)
fenixproductions
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: September 13, 2010, 05:47:59 PM »

Hi All

Today I have spent some time looking for a tool which would allow me to download all xkcd episodes and… found nothing suitable (lot of wget related scripts).

So I have decided to quickly code small downloading tool for such purpose. Here it is attached.

Note that it requires newest .NET framework.

For now it downloads all episodes from 1st to 792nd. If someone likes it I may provide basic parameters support.

P.S. It also writes strips titles into descript.ion file (usable in Total Commander's comments view).

* xkcd.zip (24.17 KB - downloaded 120 times.)

Надо было учиться, а не камни в школу бросать...
--
When I am bored I write for displaynone smiley
--
f0dder is my personal hero smiley
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 06:02:31 PM »

Cool!
Maybe someone wants to make a MultiPhotoQuotes screensaver image pack for it?
CWuestefeld
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »

That's cool. I've got a suggestion:

Store the image's ALT text into file as well. Sometimes this is as funny as the comic itself.

fenixproductions
Honorary Member

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 01:58:29 PM »

Store the image's ALT text into file as well. Sometimes this is as funny as the comic itself.
Both texts (title and alt) are stored inside descript.ion file but I am working on writing it within image. Unfortunately, it will take time I suffer the lack of.

--
--
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 10:15:21 AM »

Alt text is definitely important, a lot of the strips get their main comic value from it smiley

If you go about modifying the image, you should probably put source URL (http://xkcd.com/xxxx, not the http://imgs.xkcd.com one) there as well.

- carpe noctem
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 03:00:55 AM »

xkcd is included in Comical by Joseph Cox on:
http://software.bootblock.co.uk/?id=comical
http://www.bootblock.co.uk/home/

Freeware and well working.  thumbs up

clik thumb:

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:02:51 AM by Curt » Logged
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 05:53:22 AM »

Your xkcd downloader works really well :-) I was able to import>Copy the xkcd/app directory's images into Comical without any problems. Comical will itself "merely" search for and download updates to collections, not download entire collections.
 thumbs up
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 08:23:06 PM »

found nothing suitable (lot of wget related scripts).
As some of us here  cheesy also have wget.exe, maybe you could provide some of those wget-related scripts, so we could mash up something on our own?

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
fenixproductions
Honorary Member

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 04:53:20 PM »

@Tuxman
Just googled and went throught about 5 results pages, i.e.:
http://snippets.dzone.com/posts/show/4658
http://forums.xkcd.com/vi...opic.php?f=11&t=17563

I had tried to get some of these to work on my Windows machine and finally realised that coding in C# will take me much less time than Linux-like solutions.

--
--
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 07:48:27 AM »

Depends on what software you already have. Wink

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.038s | Server load: 0.06 ]