ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tipping - Why does this appear to be a "requirement"?

<< < (3/14) > >>

Josh:
Why do you pay more for the 30 dollar steak?  Because it is of better quality.  By the same token, the wait staff at a place that serves $30 steak will be expected to be of a higher quality than one at IHOP or Waffle House.
-wraith808 (September 12, 2010, 07:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

But what is the SERVER doing that is different for the 30 dollar steak? The cooks are doing more, but they do not receive the tips. Why should I tip the server more for carrying the same sized plate out to me because I chose to order a pricey meal? Does this tip get disbursed to the cooks? If not, then I will not tip more because of the price of the meal I chose.

cmpm:
The cooks are not doing more Josh.
Everyone works hard in that business.
The cook at your typical 10 - 15 dollar steak place.
at best I'd say $15 an hour.
High dollar chefs get maybe twice as much.
Depends on the place. And area of the world.
I've worked at some of the top restaurants, (USA),
with some great chefs trained in Europe and America,
and the stores in the middle as well as the low end ones.

cmpm:
And most servers share a portion of the tips with the person that cleans the tables.
Thought I should add that to the info.

Renegade:
Here's a tip...

PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES AND DON'T MAKE THEM BEG~!  >:(

I hate tipping. Why would you make me do math at the end of a nice meal?

Tip on 8~15% tax? Um. No.

That being said, service in North America is *generally* much better than it is elsewhere.

However, there are exceptions, and a lot of exceptions depend on your expectations.

Many of the restaurants that I would eat at in Seoul had better service than any places I would eat at in North America. When running out of greens, I'd just ask for more and they'd bring it right away. AND it didn't add to the bill. It was included already. However, the expectation is that when you need something, you'll ask for it. Servers don't always ask if you'd like more of something. That goes for food & booze.

Here in Australia there are tip jars all over the place. But the service level is far below that in North America. Why would I tip? They also get paid much higher than in North America.

Here's another tip...

If there's going to be gratuity paid, why not just include it in the bill? To take an old saying in the software industry... DON'T MAKE ME THINK~!

Speaking with a server in the USA, I found out that the hotel simply took the gratuities that were tacked onto the bill. Servers never saw it, or much of it anyways.

I do find that tipping is out of control in North America. Everywhere you go people want tips. They'll even ask for them outright. And it's not the 10% or 12% it used to be. I was in one place where they had an insert in the menu that talked about tipping and expected 20% to START! "at least 20%" Ahem...

Tipping at cafeteria-style places? Uh. No.

Begging is annoying. Tipping is nothing more than a euphemism for socially acceptable (presumably) begging.

Yes... This is a pet peeve of mine. When I moved to Korea, I found out just how nice it is to not have to tip. Adjusting back isn't possible. I've been spoiled.

I wish that restaurants would just pay their employees.

Josh:
I wish that restaurants would just pay their employees.
-Renegade (September 12, 2010, 07:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is the solution that needs to take place. Employees should not be required to push a customer out as quickly as they can in hopes of getting more tips in a shorter time frame.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version