ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tipping - Why does this appear to be a "requirement"?

<< < (11/14) > >>

wraith808:
why would you serve worse if you get more basic pay? Less worries and it's not people will stop tipping.
-justice (September 16, 2010, 08:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Did you not see the above commentary on service in Europe?
-wraith808 (September 16, 2010, 11:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes and I disagree with that statement, one waiter in london is not proof of london, a country or a continent. it's just an experience of a moment in time by one person in one day.
-justice (September 17, 2010, 04:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've seen it from more than one place... and from more than one person's experience.  And I quite think it's a part of some people's make-up; if there's no incentive to do more, then why do more?

Josh:
Now tipping is comparable to bribing public officials and law enforcement? Oh man, even Mr. Pink didn't go there.

This thread gets better with each post! I almost expect Godwin's Law to come into play soon!   :D

Jim
-J-Mac (September 16, 2010, 08:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why are you so PRO tipping? Honest question.

cmpm:
Not just anyone can be a good server.
Any fake courtesies or service can easily be seen by most.

I couldn't do it, dealing with the public like that.
Others are very good at it and like it.

When we go out to eat we want to be served.
It's the whole friggin point.
Or get your order to go.

Servers are paid to serve, they are paid according to how well they do their job directly by the served, no middle man.

It's not perfect, but that is the way it is mostly....
Lobby congress for a change...lol...

Speaking of tips, there's a good illegal tipping market-Congress.
Like it's not legal for public service officials (Police) to accept gifts.
Here in the US anyway.

But tipping goes on in many arenas.
Gifts to teachers or other such work that benefits are seen.
Not required but it is happening.

Too bad taxes can't be treated like tipping!

wraith808:
Now tipping is comparable to bribing public officials and law enforcement? Oh man, even Mr. Pink didn't go there.

This thread gets better with each post! I almost expect Godwin's Law to come into play soon!   :D

Jim
--- End quote ---

Why are you so PRO tipping? Honest question.
-Josh (September 17, 2010, 07:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

You weren't asking me, but I'll answer.  I used to be really anti-tipping.  But then I dated someone who was in the food service industry, and hearing her and seeing her experiences let me know that the tipping bit, though inconvenient and something added on top of your food purchase, was a direct way that your server was affected.  And trying to change that by *not* tipping just hurt them.  In fact, a good server could go out of their way for just the fact that they took pride in their job, and receive *no* recognition.  Then I had experience in places that didn't accept tips/tipping was not expected, and other than places where pride was a big factor (i.e. true Japanese restaurants), it really affected the service you received.

It was only when I started my new job, and became used to the culture here that I really understood why.  As a contractor, I've always held myself to a high standard- mainly because take pride in my work, but also because I knew that my continued (and future) employment depended upon my quality of work in a way that most permanent employees do not experience.  Now, being in an environment where you get your base salary (which is a bit less than market), but an increasingly large bonus based on performance, I see an energy that was lacking in other places.  That energy is driven by incentive.  Because we live in a society driven by money, it is a great incentive to get the best out of people.

At least that's what I've seen...

Renegade:

This thread gets better with each post! I almost expect Godwin's Law to come into play soon!   :D

Jim
--- End quote ---

I wasn't kidding. In some parts of the world, it's like that. Quite literally. Those are the attitudes. Obviously not in the US or many other places, but there are places where bribing the police is fully expected just like tips. It is a part of their expected income.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version