ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tipping - Why does this appear to be a "requirement"?

<< < (6/14) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I definitely think removing tipping as an incentive with all of the crap they have to put up with would make for worse service.  It does need to be there as an incentive to do better (and a reward for those that do)- humans don't perform their best without such incentives in customer service- it's a proven fact.  However, when you can give perfect service and get zero for tip, that does indicate the something is broken...-wraith808 (September 13, 2010, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Quite true, and if it happened frequently enough over an extended period of time - One might just be inclined to muster up enough audacity to grumble about it aloud...

wraith808:
That's just it. You do not need to remove it, but you do need to remove the need for tips to be looked at as a primary portion of the income. Instead, raise pay to minimum wage rates, and then have tips serve as an EXTRA incentive for good service.
-Josh (September 13, 2010, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

This will necessitate and increase in the prices for such goods that the services support (i.e. your $30 steak becomes a $45 steak... or even more).  Would the public go for such a drastic inflation?  And I think that I underestimate the price of the increase to cover such increases in salary...

Stoic Joker:
Would the public go for such a drastic inflation?  And I think that I underestimate the price of the increase to cover such increases in salary...-wraith808 (September 13, 2010, 12:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
As an example: Barmaids here are typically paid $20 for a shift - which can run up to 10hrs due to after hours cleanup activities - the rest of their "wage" is tips. ...I'd hate to think what a beer would cost if they were getting paid a flat/straight wage.  :'(

Renegade:
It will never improve. It's an entirely hopeless industry and cause.

People must eat. Period. We are lazy. We will eat out. We will eat when the servers spit in our faces and **** on our plates. The worst service in the world will not stop us from being lazy. Cooking at home is work. There is no incentive beyond tips.

To
Insure
Prompt(ness)
Service

Pffft~!

Serving (at many places) requires almost no skill beyond the ability to breathe in order to get into the industry at some point. There will always be a workforce for the industry.

Large workforce = low wages.

Higher wages won't help either though.

Here in Australia servers have much higher wages and the service is crap. Complete garbage. I have not been to a restaurant yet with decent service here. Not one.

Hopeless. Completely hopeless.

Sigh...

Renegade:
Would the public go for such a drastic inflation?  And I think that I underestimate the price of the increase to cover such increases in salary...-wraith808 (September 13, 2010, 12:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
As an example: Barmaids here are typically paid $20 for a shift - which can run up to 10hrs due to after hours cleanup activities - the rest of their "wage" is tips. ...I'd hate to think what a beer would cost if they were getting paid a flat/straight wage.  :'(
-Stoic Joker (September 13, 2010, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

In Florida? $20? That's beyond insane.

As for the price of a beer... It won't change too much. People just won't pay, and that will keep it down.

At $15 or MORE for a drink at some restaurants here, I simply don't drink. I have to drive anyways though...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version