ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

extracting info from pdf

<< < (6/13) > >>

tomos:
This may depend on the file - but with adobe reader I just selected an image in a pdf (via drag + select the area around it, then "copy image" in the context menu). I was able to paste the image in Evernote and MS Paint.

I dont think even the pdf reader will give you the option to show images at their original resolution - I suspect there could even be images with different resolutions within the one file. So I think you cant expect Screenshot captor (or other) to do that (I mean considering it's the pdf reader has the file open/displayed)

kalos:
This may depend on the file - but with adobe reader I just selected an image in a pdf (via drag + select the area around it, then "copy image" in the context menu). I was able to paste the image in Evernote and MS Paint.
-tomos (September 20, 2010, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

this is screenshot capture tool, with the above mentioned disadvantages

steveorg:
I dont think even the pdf reader will give you the option to show images at their original resolution - I suspect there could even be images with different resolutions within the one file. So I think you cant expect Screenshot captor (or other) to do that (I mean considering it's the pdf reader has the file open/displayed)-tomos (September 20, 2010, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was going to make a similar point, but wanted to test it first. I'm far from an expert, but it has been my understanding (partly from experience) that a pdf rarely has enough data to extract components that are as detailed as the original source. On the contrary, the more efficient the pdf creation program, the smaller the file size. The pdf program should provide the least amount of data that is required to create the desired appearance.

For a bit mapped graphic, what you see is probably the best you'll get. I guess in theory, scalar graphics are more flexible, but you may need appropriate software. Fonts may also scale under the right circumstances.

This is the document version of "You can't go home again." :P

tomos:
-tomos (September 20, 2010, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

this is screenshot capture tool, with the above mentioned disadvantages
-kalos (September 20, 2010, 04:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

ah okay, (you said 'pdf editor' in your post, above the screenshot)

My point stands though: if you want to get the best quality image, copy it out of the pdf reader. You cannot expect the screenshot app to manipulate the pdf reader to give the best possible display - especially if the pdf reader itself cannot even do this.

on the other hand, as steveorg says, most pdf creators are focused on making the file smaller so the original image quality in the pdf might not be so good anyways...

kalos:
My point stands though: if you want to get the best quality image, copy it out of the pdf reader. You cannot expect the screenshot app to manipulate the pdf reader to give the best possible display - especially if the pdf reader itself cannot even do this.
-tomos (September 20, 2010, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
let's say ok
now let's be a bit practical
what is the best time to copy in order to have the graphics in best quality? when pdf file is zoomed at 150% ? at 200 % ? at 300 % ?
at 400% graphics starts to pixelized
at 70% graphics starts is too small

on the other hand, as steveorg says, most pdf creators are focused on making the file smaller so the original image quality in the pdf might not be so good anyways...
-tomos (September 20, 2010, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

this doesn't matter, I just want the best image quality in the pdf file, not the image quality of the initial graphics file

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version