ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Notepad that remembers the font (and other settings) used per file

(1/2) > >>

tmpusr:
Since SMPlayer remembers the settings per file I thought Notepad could, too. Know any text editor that has this feature? It would be useful to have different fonts for different files. I'd also like to have a different font for printing. Perhaps it could be implemented in existing notepads with AutoHotkey.

Actually a notepad with RTF would probably serve as well...

rjbull:
Notetab Pro can do it, within limits; it doesn't seem to offer a huge number of fonts, but there is at least some choice.  Hit the Document menu, then Properties, to have the editor permanently associate the chosen font with the file (I think).  Notetab Pro is payware.  I don't know if the same thing works with Notetab Lite, freeware.

MilesAhead:
I would bet it's a rare feature since the app would have to maintain a mini-database just to track which settings go with which file.  Files with formatting can stick the info in the file.  Which is probably why Wordpad picks up on font size and color when it loads the file in.

With plain text, even if you track it, what if you edit the file in another program?  There's no way to know.

tmpusr:
Or you could do it the way I suggested in:

IDEA: Universal restore last position in any text when opened https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=23902.0

append the font parameters to the file name or save them in a separate file in the same folder. Or even simpler: use the first or last line if it exists. If you use more than one notepad, you have to customize the key commands needed to change the font per app.

MilesAhead:
Searching around I haven't noticed anything that does that with plain text.  A word processor type app has the advantage that either the info is embedded in the file, or it can use a storage, like MS Word.  Multiple streams inside a file.  Plain text carrying around external baggage would be an unlikely choice since it's a problem that's already been "solved" by having the formatting info included in the file/storage.

I tried to do something similar only have external comments for downloads. I had a small flat file in each folder.  When you hovered the mouse it would show the comment in a Tooltip.  But even if you adjust the hover time, the system isn't exactly snappy.  The OS/file system doesn't give all that much support unless you want to do multiple stream handling/storage etc..

If you don't want to alter the file at all, as in it will still generate the same checksum, then it's not an easy task. I wasted a lot of time on it already. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version