ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does Flash or java make websites suck?

(1/6) > >>

superboyac:
There's something about fancy websites with cool rollover effects and other animations that makes the website less easy to deal with.  For example, ESPN recently changed their website layout (again) and they went a little more serious with the flash.  Note, I'm assuming it's flash, it might be something else doing the animations...that's not really the point.  Anyway, now when you roll the mouse over some of the headings, a big ol sub-menu pops up underneath.  I don't mean a little drop down or anything...it's like a quarter of the page and has menus and pictures inside the freaking thing.  But it slows down the whole navigation by quite a bit.  First, you have to wait while the thinking wheel processes for a couple of seconds until the menu appears.  I just think it's a little out of control.  How does this help?  First, all these menus make it more confusing to navigate.  Secondly, it takes the user many more steps to find the desired link.  How is this an improvement?

But, strictly website design speaking, do these flash websites ruin the experience in your opinion?  it does to me.  Musicians' websites (and other artists) are the most guilty of this.  They use flash to create unique shapes and animations, but clicking around and finding things really sucks.

Eóin:
I would say over-zealous web-designers make website suck, and flash seems to be the tool of their choice.

Deozaan:
I would say over-zealous web-designers make website suck, and flash seems to be the tool of their choice.
-Eóin (September 07, 2010, 01:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Absolutely this. Flash isn't inherently evil. I've seen some amazing things done with it. I've also seen a lot of terrible things done with it.

In that regard it's a lot like the internet itself. There are some really amazing, useful websites (like DC) but there are probably millions upon millions of total junk sites out there (3 or 4 of which are probably mine).

f0dder:
Flash and Java in and by itself doesn't make a website suck, but pointless use of it does. I've seen too many flash-based sites that were slow to load, hard to navigate decently (and impossible to bookmark subpages), et cetera.

I prefer if websites stick to standard html+javascript, flash if it make sense (usually limited to games :P), and Java if required (for heavy-duty stuff like online banking digital signature verification... client-side ssl certs are nice, but not always enough IMHO).

zridling:
Depends. For the most part, Flash is overused and heavy on resources, making it terrible for mobile computing. If your site is built primarily on content -- even photographic content -- there should be little or no need for Flash. If it's built for gaming, video, or some other purpose, then it can make sense.

Obvious question: Why is everything Adobe does so fat and heavy-handed?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version