ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Portable apps suites - is there a good one?

<< < (7/8) > >>

Deozaan:
Hmm...how about a portable app updating utility?  How would one go about doing that?
-techidave (September 08, 2010, 05:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Read the post just before yours:
Hmm...how about a portable app updating utility?  How would one go about doing that?
-superboyac (September 07, 2010, 10:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think PortableApps.com is working on the next version of their launcher thingy that will update their apps. Not sure how far out it is though.

EDIT: It's in beta which you can try out here:

http://portableapps.com/news/2010-07-17_-_portableapps.com_platform_2.0_beta_5_released
-Deozaan (September 08, 2010, 12:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

It doesn't matter whose launcher you would use for portable apss, Liberkey or PortableApps, they will install stuff by default you may not want.-techidave (September 08, 2010, 05:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's not accurate either. You can download the PortableApps Launcher separately from any other apps.

CWuestefeld:
what i'd really like to do is come up with something so that LBC and FARR can parse the portable-app-collection formats, so that you can use LBC and FARR as a drop-in replacement for those portable app menu launchers without doing any special configuration.
-mouser (September 07, 2010, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's an incredibly good idea!

I use WinPenPack, and from what I know about the way they store their launcher data (it's all in an XML file), it should be pretty straightforward to do it for this case.

techidave:
That's not accurate either. You can download the PortableApps Launcher separately from any other apps.

--- End quote ---

Ok so you got me there.  Most of the ones I have checked will have a suite of apps that come with the launcer.  Some of those default apps I may not want.  And yes, I probably could just download the launcher only and then pick and choose.  But that's not what I want.  If I get the "complete" package it could have open office plus a whole bunch of stuff.  I may not want open office but want the other stuff.

tomos:

--- End quote ---

Ok so you got me there.  Most of the ones I have checked will have a suite of apps that come with the launcer.  Some of those default apps I may not want.  And yes, I probably could just download the launcher only and then pick and choose.  But that's not what I want.  If I get the "complete" package it could have open office plus a whole bunch of stuff.  I may not want open office but want the other stuff.
-techidave (September 09, 2010, 01:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

seems to me if you're fussy about what you want you're going to have to download the launcher and the apps seperately i.e. have a little bit of work :)
Or I guess you could download a package and delete what you dont want

ajp:
I've noticed that PortableApps on a thumb drive doesn't do the autorun in Windows 7. Just FYI.
-Deozaan (September 06, 2010, 09:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes: Windows 7 has disabled auto-run on thumb drives by default (it's not only about PortableApps). This was an excellent decision make by Microsoft, because auto-run was a perfect way to propagate malware. Every XP/Vista machine I installed, I always turned off auto-run before anything else. Minor annoyance for some use cases, but a good decision, I believe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version