ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Portable apps suites - is there a good one?

<< < (5/8) > >>

Target:
I would use portable apps more but having to constantly update them can be a real pain in the butt-techidave (September 07, 2010, 09:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

there are apps around that supposedly do this, though whether or not they would work in a portable environment I have no idea

but do you really need to constantly update?

Unless there's a requirement (ie AV tools), or there's a significant bug or functionality gap you shouldn't really need to, and if it's buggy or function poor then you'll probably be looking for a replacement instead of an update

FWIW I never use launcher.  YMMV, but most of the time the first thing I do is fire up the file manager of choice which gives me access to all the apps anyway - if I was really pushed I'd probably knock something up in AHK...

superboyac:
Target, I also used to just open my file manager.  but after configuring LBC, I'll never go back.  I'd give LBC a shot before trying to AHK it on my own.

Deozaan:
Hmm...how about a portable app updating utility?  How would one go about doing that?
-superboyac (September 07, 2010, 10:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think PortableApps.com is working on the next version of their launcher thingy that will update their apps. Not sure how far out it is though.

EDIT: It's in beta which you can try out here:

http://portableapps.com/news/2010-07-17_-_portableapps.com_platform_2.0_beta_5_released

techidave:
Hmm...how about a portable app updating utility?  How would one go about doing that?

:up: :up: :up:

techidave:
I did start looking at LBC last nite but didn't get very far with it other than installing it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version