ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Portable apps suites - is there a good one?

<< < (3/8) > >>

superboyac:
I wonder if people here would find it useful if I made a rar or iso file that contained my entire LBC setup in one download?  I think that would be nice and useful.  Of course, I'd have to remove the non-freeware stuff.  Would that even be legal?  Probably not.  Even for freeware, I doubt I'm allowed to distribute their stuff that way.  Still, I can't help feeling it's something people would find useful.

Target:
FWIW, some of the apps included in the Liberkey distro have .NET dependencies...

I wonder if people here would find it useful if I made a rar or iso file that contained my entire LBC setup in one download? -superboyac (September 07, 2010, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

perhaps just a list of the included apps - these things (like anything) tend to be pretty personal so what's a must have for you may be of no interest/value to others (I've tried several different USB distro's and I invariably end up with a ton of apps that I'll never use but just can't bring myself to delete just in case...).

Actually there could be some value in collating a (definitive?) list of must have apps for a USB key - what say you?

superboyac:
Target, I hear you.  But there are dozens of lists all over the place.  It's a lot of work and time to set up a USB stick.  If I did it the way described above, it would all be done using freeware apps and best of all, it uses the LBC as a launcher, and not some very specific portable launcher.  For example, the launcher that comes with portableapps is nowhere near as nice as LBC.  I don't know, it was just an idea.  I may do it just for the fun of it.  Maybe I won't....haha.

mouser:
what i'd really like to do is come up with something so that LBC and FARR can parse the portable-app-collection formats, so that you can use LBC and FARR as a drop-in replacement for those portable app menu launchers without doing any special configuration.

that may mean including a set of pre-defined launchbars with different category icons and looks that users can choose, that could be provided by people on the dc forum.

Target:
Target, I hear you.  But there are dozens of lists all over the place.  It's a lot of work and time to set up a USB stick.  If I did it the way described above, it would all be done using freeware apps and best of all, it uses the LBC as a launcher, and not some very specific portable launcher.  For example, the launcher that comes with portableapps is nowhere near as nice as LBC.  I don't know, it was just an idea.  I may do it just for the fun of it.  Maybe I won't....haha.
-superboyac (September 07, 2010, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to discourage you, just get around the potential issue of redistributing someone else's app's.

and you're right, there are lists all over the place - but they are lists of what suits the respective publishers.  What I was suggesting was collecting details of everyones must haves/favourites which could then be distilled down to a core set of apps, or that would at the very least provide a pick list of proven tools...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version