ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's Your Internet Speed/Reliability SATISFACTION?

<< < (24/31) > >>

Renegade:

...Might seem fast, but I pay for 2x that lol :(
-Stephen66515 (September 16, 2011, 09:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I would pay double what I'm paying now for that! I think that I'd need to pay around $400 a month to get even remotely close to that. (From the last time I looked...)

KynloStephen66515:

...Might seem fast, but I pay for 2x that lol :(
-Stephen66515 (September 16, 2011, 09:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
I would pay double what I'm paying now for that! I think that I'd need to pay around $400 a month to get even remotely close to that. (From the last time I looked...)
-Renegade (September 16, 2011, 09:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Works out here (For the 100meg fiber optic connection) + TV (Minus Sports and Movies) and Phoneline (With unlimited weekend calls to landlines, and free calls all day every day to mobiles on the same ISP network) at around £40/month (GBP) or something.

J-Mac:
Well, I actually felt kinda good about this until I saw Stephen's... Now I'm just jealous!!

[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]

Jim

Renegade:
The local look:

The more realistic view:

Rated for 10 to 20 Mbps *AS ADVERTISED*. However, everything in the advertising is misleading. Purposefully misleading. e.g.:

ADSL2+ Speeds:
Optimal ADSL2+ speeds require compatible ADSL2+ modem and filters. Around 70% of TPG ADSL2+ customers can achieve speeds greater than 10Mbps. Actual speeds will vary due to many factors including distance from the local telephone exchange, the quality of the customer's copper phone line, cabling and equipment.
--- End quote ---

While technically partially true, it's obvious that they're trying to mislead people. i.e. ADSL is asynchronous, and down/up differ, so stating a speed of 10 Mbps implies both up and down, however, the reality is very different. Conclusion: they're misleading intentionally because nobody in the industry is that stupid as to confuse ADSL for (synchronous) DSL. When you call them for support, they'll confess that the expected up speed is 1 Mbps. I really don't appreciate having to dig that far to get basic information. :(

It would be one thing to be upfront and honest, but that just ticks me off. Like just how hard is it to be honest?

Anyways, that's better than I was seeing before, so I'm much happier with that. And still very jealous of a few people in here~! :D

KynloStephen66515:
The local look:

The more realistic view:

Rated for 10 to 20 Mbps *AS ADVERTISED*. However, everything in the advertising is misleading. Purposefully misleading. e.g.:

ADSL2+ Speeds:
Optimal ADSL2+ speeds require compatible ADSL2+ modem and filters. Around 70% of TPG ADSL2+ customers can achieve speeds greater than 10Mbps. Actual speeds will vary due to many factors including distance from the local telephone exchange, the quality of the customer's copper phone line, cabling and equipment.
--- End quote ---

While technically partially true, it's obvious that they're trying to mislead people. i.e. ADSL is asynchronous, and down/up differ, so stating a speed of 10 Mbps implies both up and down, however, the reality is very different. Conclusion: they're misleading intentionally because nobody in the industry is that stupid as to confuse ADSL for (synchronous) DSL. When you call them for support, they'll confess that the expected up speed is 1 Mbps. I really don't appreciate having to dig that far to get basic information. :(

It would be one thing to be upfront and honest, but that just ticks me off. Like just how hard is it to be honest?

Anyways, that's better than I was seeing before, so I'm much happier with that. And still very jealous of a few people in here~! :D

-Renegade (September 17, 2011, 08:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

The way I have it worked out, is that if a company offers you a 20MB connection, this means, if you CONNECT at that 20mb speed, you will actually DOWNLOAD at 10% of that speed, and upload at 10% of your DOWNLOAD speed.

Not sure if thats the exact, but certainly seems true for my line:

When it works properly, I get...

100mb/s connection
  - 10MB/s Max DOWN Speed
  - 1MB/s UP Speed

Again...this is depending on a few factors like where I am downloading/uploading from and if my internet is behaving in an optimal state, and how many times I have kicked the router that day.

Torrents will obviously download at a much much higher rate than HTTP downloads and I can't actually figure out the Down/Up ratio for them as its different for literally every single one.

Well, I actually felt kinda good about this until I saw Stephen's... Now I'm just jealous!!
-J-Mac (September 16, 2011, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Please don't be...

You get very spoiled with a 100meg connection, and when it isn't working at full speed, and you find yourself on anything below 50-70, you get VERY annoyed, and people just don't understand how, or why your frustrated with downloading at ONLY 6500kb/s via HTTP.  :-\   8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version