ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's Your Internet Speed/Reliability SATISFACTION?

<< < (14/31) > >>

40hz:
I have ADSL from SNET... which became SBCGlobal... which became AT&T.

I'm generally happy with it since outages are few and far between, and what throttling they may or may not do is pretty subtle.

ADSL Runs about $20/mo for standard speeds. Higher "business" speeds are available for a higher monthly rate.  Cable is about $40, and a T1 goes between $300-$500 depending on where you are; who you get it from; and what additional features (managed router, boundary security, VoIP, etc) come bundled with the package.  Sprint's T1 has traditionally been the cheapest offering for us when it's locally available.

Rather than use artificial tests I use the download time for a CD ISO as a rough 'utility' for testing line speeds. Most ADSL connections in my area need about 1 hour and twenty minutes to grab a 650mb CD image. Optimum Online cable does it in about 15-20 minutes. And a client T1 in a lightly trafficked office can do it in about 65.

None of these are scientific tests, but I think they're fair representations of what people in my area can reasonably expect performance-wise in 'real world' terms.

As you can see the performance isn't stellar. But it's not bad for most purposes.

I'll give it a 3 out of 5 rating for my area.  8)

Addenda:

Just for completeness, here's my speed per speedtest.net

And the related quality test from the cousin ping.net site:

Note: I generally prefer using the MySpeed tests available here.

They're more detailed and possibly more accurate. At least according to the techs from the various ISPs and VoIP providers I've asked. At any rate, this is what they all seem to use when they're on a client site. See results for my home connection below:

What's Your Internet Speed/Reliability SATISFACTION?     What's Your Internet Speed/Reliability SATISFACTION?

According to this, a 650Mb ISO file should take approximately 71.5 minutes on this connection - which is pretty close to my previously mentioned ballpark average of 80 minutes for most people on a similar connection in my area.

8)

Stoic Joker:
Most ADSL connections in my area need about 1 hour and twenty minutes to grab a 650mb CD image. Optimum Online cable does it in about 15-20 minutes. And a client T1 in a lightly trafficked office can do it in about 5.-40hz (June 10, 2011, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Um... 5? ...minutes? On a T1, which is only 1.5Mb. We've got a pair of T1's for a total of 3.0Mb both ways which works great ... but it ain't gonna pull a full CD in 5min. ...Unless it's a zipped copy of a blank one... :)

40hz:
Most ADSL connections in my area need about 1 hour and twenty minutes to grab a 650mb CD image. Optimum Online cable does it in about 15-20 minutes. And a client T1 in a lightly trafficked office can do it in about 5.-40hz (June 10, 2011, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Um... 5? ...minutes? On a T1, which is only 1.5Mb. We've got a pair of T1's for a total of 3.0Mb both ways which works great ... but it ain't gonna pull a full CD in 5min. ...Unless it's a zipped copy of a blank one... :)
-Stoic Joker (June 10, 2011, 11:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yoiks! My bloody iPhone dropped the 6 in front of 65 minutes for the T1! Fixing it now. Thanks.  (Gotta stop posting to the forum off my phone. God do I hate touchscreens. Bad medicine. Give me a chicklet keyboard any time. ) :-[

Stoic Joker:
^Okay, 65 sounds better...You're forgiven...Except for the iPhone part.  :D

Renegade:
^Okay, 65 sounds better...You're forgiven...Except for the iPhone part.  :D
-Stoic Joker (June 10, 2011, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

In fairness, I have the same kind of problem on my Android. The problem is the form factor. It's meant for 10 year old girls, and not grown men with thumbs that are a half the size of the screen width. Chicklet keyboards are an improvement though. I wish my phone had one. I'd also like it if it had a slide out keyboard and the keyboard part were the heavily weighted one. (Better for balance.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version