ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How do you add a post in a Google Groups thread???

<< < (2/2)

4wd:
It's very simple - that "Reply to Author" link is how you reply. What makes you think that it sends a private message instead of a reply? Did you try it?!?!-J-Mac (September 11, 2010, 02:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Because that's how it should work in a normal newsgroup, (not using Google Groups).  When you 'Reply to author' it doesn't get posted to the newsgroup.

Works for me every time. It has nothing to do with the owner not wishing anything! Where did that come from?
--- End quote ---

Replying to groups

What happens when someone hits "Reply" to a post?

When someone clicks the "Reply" link on your group's web page, the reply will always be sent to the group. To reply to the author from the web page, click the "More options" link near the top of the message, then click on the "Reply to author" link.
--- End quote ---

I can only think that if by 'Replying to author' all your posts end up in the group thread then that is the way that the person who set up the group, (not Usenet group), wants it to work.
If it's also happening when you do it through Googles interpretation of Usenet then that is wrong and it makes me even happier that I use client programs for all my Usenet stuff.

Google Groups is not a great discussion board format by any means, but one thing it is? Pretty simple to use!
--- End quote ---

The problem is they have obfuscated it by combining what are essentially message boards with Usenet.

J-Mac:
4wd, this isn't Usenet - it's a Google Group. I have used Usenet for many years (and still do using Agent Forte) and I do realize that Google purchased DejaNews and/or all its archives, but Google Groups doesn’t follow Usenet conventions. I can also understand why people would like it to do so - I do! But in the meantime if Superboy wants to post to the MLO group he has to do it in Google Groups. I don’t believe there is anyway to reply to the group via Usenet. Although he can reply to it via email if he has elected to receive posts via email.

And Superboy is the one that said the "Reply to Author" would send a "private mail" rather than a posting to the group. If he had tried it he would have seen that it does indeed post to the group. And Superboy never mentioned Usenet at all IIRC. He only compared it to Apple (for some reason!) Not sure why you are replying for him there with Usenet examples.

Thank you.

Jim

4wd:
4wd, this isn't Usenet - it's a Google Group. I have used Usenet for many years (and still do using Agent Forte) and I do realize that Google purchased DejaNews and/or all its archives, but Google Groups doesn’t follow Usenet conventions. I can also understand why people would like it to do so - I do! But in the meantime if Superboy wants to post to the MLO group he has to do it in Google Groups. I don’t believe there is anyway to reply to the group via Usenet. Although he can reply to it via email if he has elected to receive posts via email.-J-Mac (September 11, 2010, 12:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know it's not a Usenet group - I never said it was.

Not sure why you are replying for him there with Usenet examples.
--- End quote ---

The example I gave just happened to be a Usenet group because it illustrated Googles own criteria for replying to a group, any group, as specified in the link I gave in my last post - both a Reply and Reply to author link should be available.

OK, here's a non-Usenet example - just for a test I created a Google Group using their default settings:

How do you add a post in a Google Groups thread???

Note the Reply and Reply to author link.  As I said in my first reply, it depends on what settings the Group Owner has set.

PS. I was logged in via another account as a normal user not the 'manager' when I took that screengrab.

superboyac:
Interesting, thanks for the responses.

From what you guys have said here, it seems like something weird is happening.  Maybe it's just a moderation issue.  but it's weird because I'm allowed to create posts as much as I want and they appear instantly.  It's only the replies that I can't do.  I find that weird, no?

4wd:
As Jim says, try the Reply to author link - it all depends how the Group Owner has it set up.  You've got nothing to lose.

I spent 30 minutes trying to get my test group to look the same as your OP but couldn't; either both Reply links were there or they weren't.  It might be some combination that I didn't stumble across.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version