topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Document execution problems  (Read 4158 times)

ibonny

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Document execution problems
« on: September 03, 2010, 10:58 AM »
Good morning,

I've attempted to fix this problem by scanning the boards for related issues, and I found two... the "space issue", and the "execution style issue". Neither fix appears to work. The problem is the following: I have a spreadsheet file (.xls) that I can double-click in explorer and launch successfully. If I search for it in FARR and hit enter, since its the first match, FARR closes, and does nothing. I've attempted to change the execution method (through preferences->general->use document launcher help utility and its options) and neither work. I've also checked for spaces before and after the filename, and it doesn't have any. Also, if I right-click the file and try properties or "shell context menu", I can't get either to pop up. Is there a directory size limit to the match? I'm using a document under the start menu in Windows 7, which is buried quite deep directory-structure wise.

Thanks,

Ian

ibonny

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Document execution problems
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 11:00 AM »
Hmm.. it appears to be only that one particular XLS spreadsheet. I tried a few others, and they launch perfectly. (Also, .xlsx files as well.) I'm still attempting to discover what makes it unique. I'm launching other XLS and XLSX files from the same directory, so its not the directory length limit I was talking about earlier.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 12:01 PM »
i think you were on the right track regarding the possibility of spaces in the file names -- or perhaps other unusual characters -- maybe try making a copy of the file in the same directory, and renaming the file?

ibonny

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 12:03 PM »
Ok, I'll give that a try.. but there are no spaces at the beginning or end... and it has internal spaces, but so do other files I have that I open on a regular basis.

ibonny

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 12:04 PM »
ARGH! That's what it was... there was a space AFTER the filename, but BEFORE the extension. I was looking for spaces AFTER the extension. Sorry about that.

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 12:14 PM »
I was just typing up an elaborate answer, but the issue got solved in the meantime :)

@mouser: I think this really is a bug of sorts, can you do something about it?
From what I can tell, FARR finds the file and then trims the filename prior to execution. Note that the filepath at the bottom is correct, as is when you copy the filename using ctrl+c.
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 01:03 PM »
yes i shall fix.