NANY 2011: Event Update
NANY 2011 is a bit of an experiment this year, in an effort to maximise the fun and productivity of the event we decided to start NANY midway through the year giving the coders the ability to start the process early and aim to build a substantial new project.
We are now halfway through the event and to date we've seen a steady rate of Pledges and a great deal of activity around the Entrants who have released Teasers and opened up their projects for forum discussions.
NANY Entrants pledge that they are going to release a new application for the New Year at some stage before December by posting a Pledge Thread on the NANY 2011 Board, instructions can be found here.
To date we've had 27 Pledges!
The NANY challenge, although competed by individuals or groups, is performed in the midst of the community and offers the DonationCoder community ample opportunity to get involved with the event through the N.A.N.Y. 2011 forum. Find a project that interests you and get involved with its development: feature discussions, bug testing and Teaser feedback. It's great to see the development of general forum interest as the event progresses:
It's exciting to see the NANY pledges capture the interest of the DC Community, in particular TaskDaddy and Auspex have generated a lot of discussion!
Teasers: Feedback Required
Teasers are a way for the NANY Entrants to give prospective users the opportunity to play with an early build and hopefully get some valuable feedback for the development.
- Webcam Diary
Mouser decided on this application based on a Poll -- now he's asking for feedback on what features users want in a Webcam Recording/Diary Utility. Now is the perfect opportunity to get in on the ground floor of this application's development!
DCDisplay will be a replacement for CDisplay (which hasn't been worked on for years).
- Scion Character Manager
An electronic character sheet for a RPG called Scion that tracks character stats, calculates dice pools for all the basic actions, and allows the user to add their own actions, weapons, purviews, knacks, and rules that get auto calculated.
TaskDaddy takes a single line of input from you and turns it into an Outlook task without having to open the full interface of Outlook. It's intended to be a quick way to input tasks. It is inspired by Bob Menke's Add Task script, written in VBScript. It works as both a GUI and a command line tool. DaddyDave also has a Features Poll to get user feedback on Future / Missing features.
- NetLaunch (Now with GUI!)
Netlaunch is a program to launch applications based on Network status. It functions in both Agent (GUI) and command-line form.
- Auspex - a Windows Productivity App
Auspex will present the busy PC user with several enhanced input features: Replacements, Completions, Corrections, Runs and the Big Clipper.
- ContactFX 0.0.2.0
A versatile Addressbook and Contacts editor with FARR integration.
Are you a Coder just itching to get in on the act?
We've had specific requests for an enterprising entrant who's keen to fulfil someone else's dream. If you're keen to participate but are looking for an idea why not check these out and contact the author for more details?
- A proper sync and communication tool for Thunderbird/lightning
- a personal spending habit report tool.
- current active printer for the window in focus
- simple kiosk-like interface for browsing and switching between different full screen applications
- Generic Card/Board Game Prototyping and Playtesting Tools -> Full Post: http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?topic=21494.0
- Utility to truly hide network icon in system tray.
Anyone can get involved with the NANY event by offering their talents to the hard working entrants to help with the ancillary aspects of their entries. Volunteering on NANY projects is a great way for everyone to get involved with the Event, coders and non-coders alike!
We also have some great tools to give-away to help you get the job done:
- Help & Manual Pro: Documentation Authoring
- Dr Explain: Help Authoring
- Axialis IconWorkshop Professional: Icon Creation
- Camtasia Studio 7: Screen recorder
- BB FlashBack Pro: Screen recorder
Add your name to the list and get involved over in this thread: NANY 2011 :: Calling All Volunteers and Entrants wanting a hand
If you can help with the following specific requests please get in touch with the Entrant directly (and let me know if you want to take advantage of the software give-away):
- Graphic designer for a iPhone app
- Phrase writer for a children's game
- Firefox, Safari and Opera users for testing a browser based game.
- Game graphics (simple, retro feel).
- Icon designer.
- a walkthrough with images or videos, taking someone through all of the steps in giving their program update support using the DcUpdater / DcuHelper tools.
Alphabetical List of Pledges
- NANY 2011 Pledge: <name redacted>
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Backup Verification Utility
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Bard - Organise your audio library
- NANY 2011 Teaser: Cautomaton
- NANY 2011 Teaser: ContactFX 0.0.2.0
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Crazy URL Thing (aka SAMSA)
- NANY 2011 Release: Crush Sniffer
- NANY 2011 Teaser: DCDisplay
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Dominion Rules Character Creator
- NANY 2011 Pledge: List Numberer
- NANY 2011 Pledge: LogFileParser
- NANY 2011 Teaser: NetLaunch (Now with GUI!)
- NANY 2011 Pledge: ProtoCards
- NANY 2011 Release: Quick Cliq
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Reliable File Watcher Batcher Robot
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Scion Character Manager
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Search Packer (probably)
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Something cross-platform
- NANY 2011 Teaser: TaskDaddy
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Teddy Pro
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Ten Timer
- NANY 2011 Release: UpdateVersion
- NANY 2011 Pledge: UQ Web Service
- NANY 2011 Pledge: VeggieWorld - Children's Game
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Webcam Diary
- NANY 2011 Teaser: WhirlyWord - cross-platform puzzle game