topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2011 :: Official Update Thread  (Read 15753 times)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2011 :: Official Update Thread
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:53 AM »
NANY 2011: Event Update

nanymug2011A1_small.png

NANY 2011 is a bit of an experiment this year, in an effort to maximise the fun and productivity of the event we decided to start NANY midway through the year giving the coders the ability to start the process early and aim to build a substantial new project.

We are now halfway through the event and to date we've seen a steady rate of Pledges and a great deal of activity around the Entrants who have released Teasers and opened up their projects for forum discussions.

NANY Pledges
NANY Entrants pledge that they are going to release a new application for the New Year at some stage before December by posting a Pledge Thread on the NANY 2011 Board, instructions can be found here.

To date we've had 27 Pledges!
NANY Numbers - 2010_12_3.png

The NANY challenge, although competed by individuals or groups, is performed in the midst of the community and offers the DonationCoder community ample opportunity to get involved with the event through the N.A.N.Y. 2011 forum. Find a project that interests you and get involved with its development: feature discussions, bug testing and Teaser feedback. It's great to see the development of general forum interest as the event progresses:
NANY Activity 2010_10_29.png

It's exciting to see the NANY pledges capture the interest of the DC Community, in particular TaskDaddy and Auspex have generated a lot of discussion!

Teasers: Feedback Required
Teasers are a way for the NANY Entrants to give prospective users the opportunity to play with an early build and hopefully get some valuable feedback for the development.
  • Webcam Diary
    Mouser decided on this application based on a Poll -- now he's asking for feedback on what features users want in a Webcam Recording/Diary Utility. Now is the perfect opportunity to get in on the ground floor of this application's development!
  • DCDisplay
    DCDisplay will be a replacement for CDisplay (which hasn't been worked on for years).
  • Scion Character Manager
    An electronic character sheet for a RPG called Scion that tracks character stats, calculates dice pools for all the basic actions, and allows the user to add their own actions, weapons, purviews, knacks, and rules that get auto calculated.
  • TaskDaddy
    TaskDaddy takes a single line of input from you and turns it into an Outlook task without having to open the full interface of Outlook. It's intended to be a quick way to input tasks. It is inspired by Bob Menke's Add Task script, written in VBScript. It works as both a GUI and a command line tool. DaddyDave also has a Features Poll to get user feedback on Future / Missing features.
  • NetLaunch (Now with GUI!)
    Netlaunch is a program to launch applications based on Network status.   It functions in both Agent (GUI) and command-line form.
  • Auspex - a Windows Productivity App
    Auspex will present the busy PC user with several enhanced input features: Replacements, Completions, Corrections, Runs and the Big Clipper.
  • ContactFX 0.0.2.0
    A versatile Addressbook and Contacts editor with FARR integration.

Are you a Coder just itching to get in on the act?
We've had specific requests for an enterprising entrant who's keen to fulfil someone else's dream. If you're keen to participate but are looking for an idea why not check these out and contact the author for more details?

Volunteers
Anyone can get involved with the NANY event by offering their talents to the hard working entrants to help with the ancillary aspects of their entries. Volunteering on NANY projects is a great way for everyone to get involved with the Event, coders and non-coders alike!

We also have some great tools to give-away to help you get the job done:

Add your name to the list and get involved over in this thread: NANY 2011 :: Calling All Volunteers and Entrants wanting a hand

If you can help with the following specific requests please get in touch with the Entrant directly (and let me know if you want to take advantage of the software give-away):

Alphabetical List of Pledges
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:43 PM by Perry Mowbray »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 :: Official Update Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 05:08 AM »
As we rush toward the New Year, the temperature in the NANY Event continues to increase along with the numbers!

It's been wonderful to see the Pledges increasing over the course of the Event: 34 Pledges to date! We also had 22 Teasers posted so that our users could play and give feedback... and over the last couple of months the Pledges have steadily been converted to 12 Releases!

But there's still more time... so keep your eyes peeled for more additions!

NANY Numbers - 2010_12_21.png

Thanks to timns and his wonderful creativity we also have a great summary of our experiences of NANY as we move toward the New Year via Christmas...

Twas the night before Christmas, and all through my browser,
not a creature was stirring - except of course, mouser;

Questions were typed in the forums with care,
in the hope that some answers soon would be there;

Donation Coders were nestled all snug in their beds,
while visions of software danced in their heads;

cranioscopical had just logged back on,
and was all settled down for a long Winter's pun;

When out in the forum there arose such a thread!
We all logged back on to see what was said;

Away to my firefox I ran in a dash,
tore open my tabs and updated my flash;

And what to my wondering eyes should appear,
but some amazing new apps, in time for New Year;

A fun competition to show your ability:
create a new app, game or utility;

Code it, upload it and throw it into the mix,
and then let everyone find the bugs to be fixed

No offense meant, in fact let me be clear:
I am of course referring to my own entry here ;)

But even right now, as the deadline is nearing:
34 apps and they are still appearing!

This is why DC is my number one:
community, spirit, software and fun;

And so I exclaim, to all who can hear:
this NANY is great, and just wait till NEXT year!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 05:50 AM by Perry Mowbray »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 04:09 PM »
It's the last gasp for this year's NANY and as the clock slowly ticks down to New Year CST Time... it's exciting to see the Little Red Release Line wiggle it's way up the graph:

NANY Day.png

At the end of the year (in about 8 hours at the time of writing) NANY will close and we'll start evaluating and sorting the entries, which we'll unveil Mid-January.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 04:16 PM by Perry Mowbray »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 04:25 PM »
I suppose we should say that while tonight is the deadline to get your NANY submission(s) posted and public, because it will take us a week or two to prepare the final page (and screencast videos, and make a press released, etc.),  participants are welcome to keep improving their programs in the interim.

The requirement is that you must have a working public version submitted tonight, but no one is stopping you from continuing to improve it going forward.

(keep in mind that the screencasts, screenshots, and writeups will be based on the submissions on Jan 1, 2011).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 04:37 PM by mouser »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:42 PM »
Just thought I'd post the final numbers:
NANY Numbers Final.png

If that red line was a learning curve we'd splattered at the bottom  :D

Good on you DC'ers!!!   :Thmbsup:  You guys are thrill-seekers...