ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Stupid question time, "Any way to *prevent* crapware loading on new box?"

(1/6) > >>

barney:
Yeah, I know it's dumb.  But, just maybe ...

Finally got my new i7 box, a Dell Vostro 3700 laptop, and I'd really like to find a way to prevent loading of the [obligatory?] included crapware, rather than come back and remove it after the box completes initiating.  Searches have turned up the question, but no viable answers to speak of.  Did find a few that were technically impossible, a couple that seemed improbable, but none that could be effectively implemented, at least by me.

One of the improbable ones involved booting from a Live CD, deleting the offensive bits, then booting the machine naturally.  That requires a more intimate knowledge than I'm ever likely to have of both the OS and the appropriate install programs.  (For one thing, this box has a fingerprint reader, the software for which I'm unlikely to recognize even after installation, much less prior to install  :o.)  Yeah, with enough research I could probably identify some of the stuff I know is there, but ...  :o.

OK, enough about my inadequacies ... anyone know of a way to pre-clean a new box prior to initialization?

4wd:
When you say initiating, does that mean:
(a) the OS, (with crapware), has already been installed and it just finalises installation on first boot, or
(b) the OS has already been installed but it asks for discs to install the crapware on its initial boot, or
(c) that the HDD is blank and you want to prevent it being loaded from the recovery disc.

From what I've read online, (assuming Win7 here), there is no difference between install discs of HP, Pro or Ultimate, (barring the esoteric versions and obvious x86/x64 differences), whether OEM or not - the CD key is what determines which version will be installed and whether it's OEM or not.  The main difference between OEM and retail is in the licensing agreement.

In theory you could download, (or borrow), a full install DVD of the version that's already on the laptop, (or a specific x86/x64 Win7 DVD of any version: HP, Pro or Ultimate and modify it), install and then enter your OEM key - this should be done before the current version goes online and activates itself.  The key will then be tied to the hardware, which in the case of an OEM license means specifically that motherboard - if it fries you need to buy a new OS also.

This will give you a bog standard Win7 install with no crapware other than what MS install by default.

EDIT: Forgot, you'll also need to download drivers for the specific hardware of your machine afterwards, (eg. thumbprint reader, etc), so you should check Dell's website to see if they are available for download first.

MilesAhead:
The only way I know to avoid doing it yourself, assuming the machine has Windows pre-installed, is to pay a technician.  One approach is to create a custom install DVD such as this:

http://www.intowindows.com/download-vlite-for-windows-7/

The other would be to get the programs on the HD exactly as specified, then create a backup image on a set of DVDs or a USB external drive.  If your system gets hosed, or you want to return to this pristine state, restore completely from the image, or install clean from the DVD alluded to above.

The trouble with doing this stuff yourself is the first time is always the hardest. You make all the mistakes, figure out the easy way to do it, then it's done and you don't do it again for years, so you forget everything you learned. :)

Less frustration but more expensive to get someone to do it for you, provided you can find competent people who won't just hodge podge it together to get your money.

edit: btw, for all things bootable, I haven't found a better resource than this site:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/

Eóin:
I'd recommend doing as 4wd suggests. I'd try and use the Dell install disk first though, it probably has a clean Win7 on it, the OEM added stuff get install separate I think. Remember you can do as many installs as you want, you only need activate when you're happy you've got the install you're looking for.

All in all, if you're not afraid of a bit of playing around you'll end up with a perfectly clean install. However the road there may be bumpy if you're not very comfortable with doing OS installs.

barney:
@4wd
selection (a).  It's already on the box's hard drive, and the first time I power it up, it will be installed, whether I will it or no.
Yes, Win7, 64-bit.
Your edit kinda defines the problem ... I don't know what drivers will be necessary, and the Dell site is less than forthcoming with specifics that satisfy me.

@MilesAhead
Unfortunately, in my current location, I'm more know ledgable than the available 3rd party techs  :huh:.  I will check http://www.boot-land.net/forums/.

@Eoin (I still can't get the o right)
There is no install disk - it all happens the first time I power up the box.
And, while I am comfortable with doing clean OS installs, this ain't one <grin />.

@general
This particular box came with six (6)  CDs (assumption that they are only CDs on my part), all of which are marked, "Already installed on your computer."
That's the part that bugs me, and I'd really like to obviate most of those installations.
Yeah, I realize that's unlikely w/o a month or two of research, but I don't have that kind of time to get the box up - I need its power for an upcoming project.

Apparently, due to time constraints, I'll have to accept the whole install, then, as time allows, get rid of all the junk that I won't use or don't want.  I was just hoping against hope that someone had an easy - I like easy - answer to a problem that many people don't seem to have.

Note:  I said I'm comfortable with clean installs, but maybe not so comfortable with installing drivers that I don' know I need until something fails  :o.

I do appreciate the quick responses, folk, and all your suggestions are viable, given enough time to implement them - time is my enemy at this point, but this is all on file and will be consulted in future initiations.  Thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version