ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: "VeggieSquares" - Children's Game

<< < (5/14) > >>

insomnianiac:

Hello :)

Not sure if this helps but, if people are worried that children might form negative views of vegetables based on any negative reactions in the game (by which I mean the "I'm not happy you're here" responses), would it not be possible to turn it round a bit?

So that, rather than being annoyed &/or not very friendly because they don't get on, the vegetable (or whatever they are put next to) could react because they are concerned for the newcomer's well being and suggest they move for their sake?

Not sure that's very clear but I was thinking something like:  "large roots run in my family I'm afraid and I wouldn't want to squash you" or "It's ok here for a carrot* like me but wouldn't you be happier in the sun?" (for example)

Ok, sounds a bit daft now I've written it down - and it's probably way too wordy - but hopefully you get the general idea :)

Anyway, I also wanted to say that I love the idea, and I love that you want to include as many different phrases as possible - believe me, if my daughter is anything to go by, children do not appreciate hearing the same response over and over again when playing a game. In fact, there's nothing more annoying.

I mean, when the response indicates they need to rethink something, it becomes aggravating and patronising and, when they get something right and they just hear the same thing time and again it isn't a very satisfying reward!

Lastly then, I think allowing them to use their own backgrounds is an excellent idea - as is the ability to print something - anything - to show for their efforts. Children (and grown ups) love anything they can customise and make their own somehow - and the printing would add a bigger sense of achievement and something to aim for which would keep them interested on a level where it doesn't just feel like learning.

(if that makes any sense :))

All just my opinions of course but hth anyway :D

Take care

g.x

*please note that I am not exactly great at gardening so I may have chosen completely the wrong type of vegetable for this example - see, I need to play the game myself :)

vlastimil:
I really like this NANY project.  :-* I have been thinking about doing something like this (a game that is not waste of time) myself, but never got the right idea. I hope you manage to finish it and your game spreads like fire!

CodeTRUCKER:

Hello :)

Not sure if this helps but, if people are worried that children might form negative views of vegetables based on any negative reactions in the game (by which I mean the "I'm not happy you're here" responses), would it not be possible to turn it round a bit?

So that, rather than being annoyed &/or not very friendly because they don't get on, the vegetable (or whatever they are put next to) could react because they are concerned for the newcomer's well being and suggest they move for their sake?

Not sure that's very clear but I was thinking something like:  "large roots run in my family I'm afraid and I wouldn't want to squash you" or "It's ok here for a carrot* like me but wouldn't you be happier in the sun?" (for example)

Ok, sounds a bit daft now I've written it down - and it's probably way too wordy - but hopefully you get the general idea :)
-insomnianiac (December 12, 2010, 02:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi insomnianiac ... actually, this doesn't sound daft to me at all; on the contrary, your comment has caused me to change my tack altogether.  I especially like the instructive nature of "suggesting" a Veggie would be "more comfortable" elsewhere.

Anyway, I also wanted to say that I love the idea, and I love that you want to include as many different phrases as possible - believe me, if my daughter is anything to go by, children do not appreciate hearing the same response over and over again when playing a game. In fact, there's nothing more annoying.

I mean, when the response indicates they need to rethink something, it becomes aggravating and patronizing and, when they get something right and they just hear the same thing time and again it isn't a very satisfying reward!

--- End quote ---

This has also been my experience.  Fortunately, I have a pretty good resource in my own children to populate this database, but feel free to add to it here.  It might provoke other responses too.

Lastly then, I think allowing them to use their own backgrounds is an excellent idea - as is the ability to print something - anything - to show for their efforts. Children (and grown ups) love anything they can customize and make their own somehow - and the printing would add a bigger sense of achievement and something to aim for which would keep them interested on a level where it doesn't just feel like learning.

(if that makes any sense :))

All just my opinions of course but hth anyway :D

Take care

g.x

*please note that I am not exactly great at gardening so I may have chosen completely the wrong type of vegetable for this example - see, I need to play the game myself :)

--- End quote ---

I'm not at that stage yet, but it appears the ability to print the window should be included.  We'll see.

Thanks for your input!

~ CT

CodeTRUCKER:
I really like this NANY project.  :-* I have been thinking about doing something like this (a game that is not waste of time) myself, but never got the right idea. I hope you manage to finish it and your game spreads like fire!
-vlastimil (December 14, 2010, 05:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the vote of confidence!  I'm not that great of a coder, but I am a pretty good "idea man."  After the NANY is done, I'll be happy to discuss your ideas for some games via PM, if you would like?

CodeTRUCKER:
Here is a peek.  More to come.

NANY 2011 Release: "VeggieSquares"  - Children's Game

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version