ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: "VeggieSquares" - Children's Game

<< < (4/14) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
What about veggies running (or slinking) away from each other, or giving each other hugs and high fives? You might can come up with a few cool animations.
-daddydave (September 20, 2010, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sounds fun!  Unfortunately, this is beyond my coding abilities, at present.  I never had a need to learn the graphics part.  I have a vision for the facial expressions, but that will be swapping one bitmap for another.  Maybe in a year or two.

CodeTRUCKER:
Exactly what I was trying to say. You don't want the kids at the dinner table looking at their plate of broccoli and saying "Youuuu stinkkk!" to the chagrin of their parents.

This is hard, I'm not very creative at this kind of thing either.
-daddydave (September 20, 2010, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have been giving some thought to this and I really do not think it will be possible to avoid it with even the most gentle "I don't like being next to you" type verbiage.  I have an idea.

Dave (and others), how would you feel about your child using VeggieWorld if the antagonistic response was silent?  Making Veggie "A" move to somewhere else, if Veggie "B" was an incompatible?  A simple explanation in the "Instructions" would read something like, "... If you drag VeggiePea next to VeggieOnion on the screen (which is not compatible) VeggiPea will move away from VeggieOnion...." 
How would that work?

This would negate adding negative diction, but still get the point across that it is not a good idea to plant peas and onions together.  It would reduce the phrase workload by a third.  We would only have to target neutral and complimentary diction.

Opinions?

Stoic Joker:
Makes for a bit of a stilted reality I think. There are polite ways of saying no, and one must remember to view the comments in a childs context...not an adults (keeps stuff way simpler). Remember Bugs Bunny as a child? ...Notice what Ya missed when watching it years later? Hm... Was anybody shocked/offended/damaged for life? ...Nope.

How about keeping the negative & positive on topic/related to the nature/why the incompatibility. One needs more water and the other says "Eek! I'll drown..." ...And if both need much water "Yeah! Lets go swimming!" Now the "epithets" become part of the training.

CodeTRUCKER:
Hiya SJ!, glad you could drop by...  :)

Makes for a bit of a stilted reality
-Stoic Joker (September 23, 2010, 03:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

"Stilted reality?"  Nah, I don't think so and here is why (maybe this is just semantics?).  I see reality in life as someone is living.  They eat, drink, sleep, etc.  Given this, is "murder" a reality?  Not in my book.  I see "murder" as an aberration of the reality of living.  They no longer , eat, drink, sleep, etc.  I hold that reality is the authentic; therefore, any aberration of the authentic is not reality.  It is a counterfeit.  Consider these scenarios...

* The FBI Counterfeit Division trains their agents differently than what most people would expect.  During the entire duration of training they are never shown any counterfeit notes, only the real legal tender.  Why?  If one becomes very intimate with a reality, the aberration jumps out like a sore thumb.  The agents do not recognize a counterfeit "Benjamin" because they have studied all the bogus bills.  They recognize them because the counterfeit notes display an aberration from the true reality of what the bill is supposed to look like.
* Music is another example.  If a 300-piece symphony orchestra plays a piece, each correct note is the reality, but every sour note is an aberration to that reality, and one does not require a Masters in Music to identify the mistake.  The"clinkers" are noticed, not because we have been trained to recognize all the possible mistakes (even if that were possible), but because it is an aberration of our authentic expectation.
* Lastly, I have raised my children by focusing on what is good, for instance, relationships.  I taught my daughters the positive characteristics of what a beau should possess (the reality).  Disagreeable traits (the counterfeit) are then automatically recognized as being aberrant to the standard.  Like I said, it may be just semantics, but has worked in my world. 
It is only in a world laden with greedy litigates which has caused (trained) our society to enumerate the negative.

So, how does this relate to "VeggieWorld?"  The reality of VeggieWorld is to train children(?) to recognize beneficial or at least, neutral relationships between vegetables.  It is not my place to teach them good or bad habits of living.  That is the parent's responsibility.  I need to make sure I do not teach any aberrations.  There is no need to teach children aberrations in the botanical reality of "VeggieWorld" since it will be automatic.  The message of "I don't like you" will come across, especially if (1) the directions specify no response indicates antagonism or (2) the Onion moves away from the Pea when the pea is dropped beside the onion.  I see no need to express the negative except in passivity and within the parameters you expressed below. 

...and one must remember to view the comments in a childs context...not an adults (keeps stuff way simpler).

--- End quote ---

Good advice.  I am glad I have some small children to help me out with this.

Remember Bugs Bunny as a child? ...Notice what Ya missed when watching it years later? Hm... Was anybody shocked/offended/damaged for life? ...Nope.

--- End quote ---

<off topic>
Sorry, I can't just give you that, not because you are "wrong," but because we don't really know.  No empirical data exists to substantiate your claim.  SJ, I'd love to pursue this offline!  Contact me.  This relates to the "fence." [private joke]
</off topic>

How about keeping the negative & positive on topic/related to the nature/why the incompatibility. One needs more water and the other says "Eek! I'll drown..." ...And if both need much water "Yeah! Lets go swimming!" Now the "epithets" become part of the training.

--- End quote ---

This is worth the price of admission alone!  Excellent observation. :Thmbsup: 

CodeTRUCKER:
Here's some fun...

I have been  :wallbash: trying to get this infernal contraption (my app) to work!  I feel like I'm starting at "square 1."  In a conversation with one of my children asking "How ya doin', Dad?"  I replied my frustrations with this program are provoking me.  He responded back with, Well, I hope you can get your dendrons and "morons," or what ever they're called, all in line."

Ha! maybe that's what my hurdle is, in a diabolical plot my axons have been replaced by "morons!  :tease:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version