ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

tc1100 tablet pc dies before i've even set it up

<< < (14/17) > >>

nudone:
Perhaps to assist end users that hold the tablet at an angle to contend with the parallax created?

(Screen thickness + angle of view create a perceived shift in the true point of contact)
-Stoic Joker (October 05, 2010, 07:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

good point, you'd think that would be the case but from my experiments (trying to be clever by offsetting and changing the angle of the pen) the only way the parallax idea might work is, if your eyes were about 3 inches away from the screen, i.e. closer than the top of the pen.

i'm being facetious, of course, but looking around the web it appears that other people have come to the same conclusion. the calibration routine on the device only makes matters worse - even when using a method of using a 16 point grid rather than the 4 corner grid, it's all worse that a simple click of the Reset button.

the calibration system is so wrong it just doesn't provide a consistent "offset" between pen and cursor. a single corner area might be off, or all corners are off in different directions. honestly, it's a total joke.

judging by some of the other comments i've found about the bad calibration it seems that some users are happy to forgive the machine. instead they'll enlarge the scroll bars or gui buttons, or simply say that watching the cursor and not the pen tip is the important part, i.e. they don't care that in some places of the screen, cursor and pen are off by a few millimetres. they obviously need to just hit the Reset button and everything will be fine instead of just lying to themselves that everything is acceptable.

nudone:
yes, Carol, you are correct - on all points. eBay is a dangerous place for me to visit, i can't help buying those kinds of things though. it's the only way i'll discover if they are brilliant machine(s) i hope them to be.

the Motion LE1700 tablet may still turn out to be something i hate - the screen brightness, when on maximum is still darker than any monitor i've encountered (even running from the mains adaptor). and the manufacturer's claim that the screen is "UltraView", i.e. viewable from wide angles and in bright light - total rubbish. like, who believes this kind of sh*t when they turn the machine on.

anyway, i'm going to be putting the machine through some "sketching" tests whilst creating the graphic for this years NANY/Cody image. if that seems fine then i'll accept the machine for what it is.

what happens to the other tablets i'm not sure yet. the Cintiq is a lot better than the Motion for brightness but it's not portable - so i don't use it. i ought to get rid of it.

superboyac:
nudone, I'm closely following your tablet saga.  I hear that from a lot of tablet owners: the screen is not bright enough.  i think most of the consumer models suffer from that.  They figure, we'll give you a touchscreen, but at the expense of a good screen.  I've heard the higher, business end models are better, like the newer Motion tablets, the HP 2470p, and the new Panasonic Tougbook CF-C1.  I think my favorite of them so far is the Toughbook.
I'm really hoping these tablets take off in the next year or two.

cranioscopical:
I'll use the Motion now, it feels like a different machine-nudone
--- End quote ---
Glad to see this.
If anyone deserves a prize for persistence it's you  ;)

Possibly I can help you with future forays. If you want to cut out eBay I'll send you a list of the electronic detritus that half-fills my basement  ;D

Carol Haynes:
If you want to cut out eBay I'll send you a list of the electronic detritus that half-fills my basement
-cranioscopical (October 05, 2010, 09:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'll bet his list is longer than yours judging by his obsession with eBay!

Maybe we should organise a crap swap system - that way all the unwanted rubbish can circulate the globe until someone finds a use for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version