topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 1:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Google PowerMeter: One step closer to the Google Toilet  (Read 3817 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Google PowerMeter: One step closer to the Google Toilet
« on: August 30, 2010, 11:39 PM »
Remember this comical video?

Well, Google just moved a little closer to that being a reality by introducing Google PowerMeter.

If you are a customer of a limited number of power suppliers (only 3 in the world right now), then Google can now track your electricity usage and make suggestions to help you save energy. And they are making a game of it by awarding badges if you follow their suggestions, encouraging you to compete with your friends and family to see who can collect the most badges the fastest... all while providing them with your energy consumption data.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google PowerMeter: One step closer to the Google Toilet
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 01:24 AM »
Hmmm - our electricity is costing us a bomb! Last month's Council Bill came to almost as much as one of Mum's Pensions... :(

We're as frugal as you can get - we need a Medal not a Badge!  ;D

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 08:10 AM »
Are they going to come in the night and confiscate my 100-watt light bulbs?
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 03:17 PM »
I signed up via my local power company, can see daily usage stats among others. Useful in some ways, privacy notwithstanding. Although I don't see how this is really a big privacy thing considering that the power company installs 'smart meters' and that's very mandatory but yes signing up to view stats adds a point of entry to snoops I guess.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:19 PM by rgdot »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 04:00 PM »
They had one of those Conserve Energy/Green Earth campaigns in our town a few years back. Conned everybody into buying a bunch of (big ticket) appliances etc. so they could "Save Money" (total crock of shit that was).

Power companies profits started to dip due to so many folks conserving energy ... so they raised the rates to compensate - now the bills are almost twice as high as they were before we started to (conserve...) "Save Money" (Yeah, for them).

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 04:36 PM »
I am not excusing big corporations including power companies, I would never do that, I am more 'left' than most of you. But under the current set up or system being green is not and will not be cheap, I remember people complaining at municipal meetings when (green box) recycling was being implemented. By 'current setup' I mean when companies, even if non-profit, take up operations such as recycling, green power generation, etc

Sorry for veering off topic :)