ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

27 Good Reasons to Love Linux

(1/9) > >>

zridling:

Linuxaria serves up 27 good reasons to love Linux on hubpages.com. Among them are:
- Ease of use (yes, believe it!)
- Free software and games
- No more piracy, registration, validation, verification, or cost
- One-click upgrades and updates
- Great music players
- Stability, viruses aren't a concern, no more defrag, no more reboots
- Choose your desktop (want it to look and work like Win7 or OSX? no problem)
- Use workspaces, not 11 different windows open at one time
- Support is universal

parkint:
Right on.  Thanks for sharing.

nite_monkey:
If I could get all my windows only programs to work under wine, I would remove my 7 partition, and just run Ubuntu on my laptop. (I really like to no more cost part, and no more activation)

f0dder:
"Forget about viruses" - because the OS has small marketshare. It's not like there hasn't been enough privilege escalation and remote root holes.

"Linux: no more pirates but legality" - yeah, sure. But where's the games? And you can't really compare gimp to photoshop, or blender to the bigger suites... et cetera.

"Windows get slower day after day, not Linux!" - same old unsubstantiated FUD.

"Forget disk fragmentation" - bullshit. There's simply no filesystem that doesn't eventually suffer from fragmentation. At least on Windows, there's a bunch of different defragmenters available... for linux, the typical advice is to always keep 20% disk space free... or copying all files to another partition, wiping the fragmented partition, and copying the files back. Also, it's a lame attempt at explaining filesystem fragmentation.

"Immediate support, free and unlimited" - ah, yes. "RTFM NOOB" and "you've got the source, fix it yourself". Wonderful support ^____________^

Josh:
I was going to comment on the support, viruses and slower day after day comments but figured I would wait for f0dder. I knew he wouldn't be able to resist this just like I cannot.

The viruses comment might very well be true but which is worse, a virus which damages your data or a root exploit which exposes all of your data to a third party, allows them to control the system, and allows access to any computer on the network which this system/user has access to? I see patches day after day for the thousands of tools and binaries on a standard Linux installation and most of them are to fix security holes.

No more pirates but legality? Really? Linux does not use commercial software? Many Linux users will not touch the commercial software, tis true, but it still exists and I do see it listed on many torrent sites and piracy channels.

Support is a sore subject for me. Trying to learn Linux, I had hoped I could use various forums or IRC support channels to learn the OS and figure out what I was doing wrong. When I attempted to install my 5 year old wifi-G card, I was told to install ndiswrapper and then rtfm on how to configure it with my drivers. I was eventually kicked and banned from a support channel because I made a comment about suggesting I read the manual for a tool they suggested when they started the conversation. Yes, doing something for one's self is the best way to learn, but when it's been done thousands of times over, why spend the time googling when someone very well might already have that answer?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version