topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: RecentX Launcher - 40% discount only on 1st September  (Read 5768 times)

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
RecentX Launcher - 40% discount only on 1st September
« on: August 27, 2010, 11:56 PM »

Conceptworld Corporation will soon be featuring RecentX: Launcher for Windows on Bits du Jour, a ‘deal-of-the-day’ website that offers fantastic, one-time discounts on a variety of great products. Bits du Jour will be offering RecentX on Wednesday 1st September, 2010 at dramatically reduced price of $17.95. The normal purchase price for RecentX is $29.95!

Learn more about the deal on Bits Du Jour

Thanks.

Regards,
Gautam Jain
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 11:59 PM by conceptworld »

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: RecentX Launcher - 40% discount only on 1st September
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:52 AM »
The day is today.  I think I'll bite this time, because it really seems quite neat, though between FARR, TrueLaunchBar, TC and Locate32, I can pretty much launch everything already with minimum fuss.

I wish we had a DC review of RecentX by someone who has used it for a while. Online reviews amount to descriptions of functionality, which isn't quite the same as an in-depth review.

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:19 AM »

Thanks Tranglos.

Regards,
Gautam Jain

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 11:20 AM »
Won't have time to put up a full review by the time the Bits discount ends, but I can answer questions about the program.  I've been using it off and on for quite some time now.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 12:39 PM »
Interesting.  I'm a little intrigued by this program.  Like tranglos, I've come across it before but never had a real need for it because of FARR, LBC, Dopus, Everything, etc.  But it does seem quite handy!  The only thing I'm concerned about is how it tracks the accessed file/folders through all these different applications.  I never use windows explorer for pretty much anything, so I need to know if it works well with other programs.  In the BDJ comments, somebody posted a link showing how to configure DOpus to work with it.  I would (obviously) prefer it to work with all the programs without too much additional configuration.

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 06:58 PM »

Hello superboyac,

Thanks for your interest.

RecentX works mostly with Windows Explorer (which includes the file open/save dialogs also). Technically it is almost impossible for them to get details from Everything, FARR etc.

But you can manually add your favorite files and folders to RecentX by dragging and dropping them over RecentX so that you can always launch them from RecentX.

Let us know how else we can serve you.

Regards,
Gautam Jain

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 07:17 PM »
Hello superboyac,

Thanks for your interest.

RecentX works mostly with Windows Explorer (which includes the file open/save dialogs also). Technically it is almost impossible for them to get details from Everything, FARR etc.

But you can manually add your favorite files and folders to RecentX by dragging and dropping them over RecentX so that you can always launch them from RecentX.

Let us know how else we can serve you.

Regards,
Gautam Jain
Ah, I see.  Thanks.  Hmm...I wonder how useful the program will be to me.  This is no knock on the program, I'm just thinking out loud...

Here's the thing, if it works mainly with explorer windows and dialogs, then that means it won't keep track of the files I'm using with other applications.  Now, with Dopus, it can be configured to work on the double-clicking.  However, I use so many third-party tools like that.  The only situation where I regularly use a normal windows dialog is in the open/save dialogs.  And even those I have enhanced by Direct Folders.  Direct Folders and RecentX, even though they do different things, for me they have very overlapping functions.  I use Direct Folders to make those open/save dialogs quite efficient.  So in those cases, RecentX wouldn't add that much more to it by just storing a history of those files.  Secondly, DOpus has the virtual file collection features.  I haven't even used half of the capabilities there, but I can very easily use it to hold my favorite folders and files and what not.  I can probably even set it up to do some cooler things like keep track of recent documents.

But that being said, even the open/save I don't use that often.  I open most files by either double-clicking in DOpus (or XYplorer, TC, etc.) or dragging-dropping into the application window.  Once again, RecentX wouldn't help me much there.  And for really hard to find files, I'll just use Everything which is brilliant for that.

So I think I'll pass.  Again, nothing negative about RecentX, it's a personal thing.  It's actually a good application and I appreciate that the authors come here and respond and are helpful.  I also give a big thumbs up to the interface, which is very nice and elegant.  I've been bitching about interfaces recently, so there's a good example of how to do it right.  i think I'm just such a software geek that I already have 5 things for each function.  But I also know I'm in the very small minority.

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 07:29 PM »

Thanks superboyac,

Just an additional note. RecentX does 2 things. It tracks the files & folders that you access so that you can find and search your favorite items quicker then digging in to the whole list of 'never accessed' files. Plus it also allows you to search in 'All files', 'All Folders' with a single key so that you will always find a file where you accessed that file/folder or not.

So basically, irrespective of which programs you are using to access files or folders, you will always find your file/folder in RecentX.

Of course, I do see a point that you are already using many other tools for same purpose.

Regards,
Gautam Jain

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 07:48 PM »
Thanks superboyac,

Just an additional note. RecentX does 2 things. It tracks the files & folders that you access so that you can find and search your favorite items quicker then digging in to the whole list of 'never accessed' files. Plus it also allows you to search in 'All files', 'All Folders' with a single key so that you will always find a file where you accessed that file/folder or not.

So basically, irrespective of which programs you are using to access files or folders, you will always find your file/folder in RecentX.

Of course, I do see a point that you are already using many other tools for same purpose.

Regards,
Gautam Jain
I see, that's really great.  It's a nice program, really.  I'm a fan.  Thanks for participating here!

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 02:03 AM »
XYplorer has something similar built in:
http://www.xyplorer.....htm#openrecentfiles