topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Simple way to connect two computers (both XP) ?  (Read 24693 times)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Simple way to connect two computers (both XP) ?
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 06:06 PM »
That was after XP SP1...at least I couldn't connect to my old, but remarkably solid Exchange server without supplying a password at the time I installed SP1.

I was in the same situation once a long time ago and could not be bothered to think twice about buying a small hub/switch for 8 USD, connecting normal network cables to it (which I already had) and manually filling in IP addresses on both systems.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 06:28 PM »
actually if you are on xp pro, you can go to gpedit.msc and tell it to allow blank passwords.  I forget exactly where it is but could look it up if need be.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 05:23 AM »
I'm learning lots but still not getting there. I'm on XP home techidave.

I set new admin accounts on each pc, both with the same password but that didnt work either...
It seemed to take a lot longer to think about it when I tried to access it but in the end the message was that it couldnt find...

At this stage I'll probably give up, and in future I'll avoid tweaking sh!t (I dont even know if tweaking is the cause of the problem, but it makes the possible causes just too much in terms of narrowing things down, and not having to spend the whole week rebooting)

Thanks again for all the help people!
Tom

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 07:37 AM »
Tomos,
why don't you use Teamviewer to connect the two computers, assuming both computers have internet access (your explanations were not entirely clear to me) *or* are connected via crossover cable with IP numbers assigned.

Teamviewer allows you to do file transfer. For crossover cable connection you need to set Options>General>Incoming LAN connection to accept. Use the portable or full version.

I would also suggest you manage different network settings with NetSetMan.

Both programs free for personal use.
Regards, Brahman
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:45 AM by brahman »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 03:12 PM »
Are both computers in the same workgroup?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 03:43 PM »
Are both computers in the same workgroup?

I dont really understand this question - isn't a workgroup a network?
If so, the answer is no. Just two 'free-standing' computers I thought I was hoping to connect

Tomos,
why don't you use Teamviewer to connect the two computers, assuming both computers have internet access (your explanations were not entirely clear to me) *or* are connected via crossover cable with IP numbers assigned.

No, I'm afraid only one has internet connection which is fine by me - but on reading about setting up a network I see they tend to presume you want all machines connected. I'm not going the network route anyway cause I reckon if I can't get this to work (crossover cable), I wont be able to get a network to work. I'm simply as the title says, trying to connect two pc's.... I'm going to get the 'special' usb cable and if that works I'm sorted. If not I'm screwed but it's no big deal :)
Tom

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 05:55 PM »
On each computer you can check (My computer > properties > computer name tab) the computer name but also the workgroup it belongs to. It helps if they are the same on both computers.

By default the workgroup name is set to...Workgroup (at least it does on my XP Pro). Although this should not be an issue, it never hurts to check.

When they are different, you can make them equal by hitting the appropriate button

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 06:19 PM »
As Shades eluded to above, workgroup name is only an issue if you are trying to browse machines using the GUI. Direct connect using \\IP Address bypasses the need for matching names.

Just out of curiosity...are the machines ping-able from each other when connected via cross-over cable? This has been a screwy enough issue that I'm half tempted to vitalize (damn spellcheck is on crack) virtualize a couple of XP Home machines just to see if I can duplicate it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:18 AM by Stoic Joker »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 09:41 PM »
sorry tomos to hear that the connection is still not working. i've had PCs with WinXP connected via crossover cable previously but can't remember if it was XP Pro or Home..

if you get the IP address of both PCs and ping each other, do they respond?

btw like Stoic mentioned, can you confirm that the PCs are ping-able?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 10:39 AM »
can you confirm that the PCs are ping-able?
no!

From this page Using Ping to Troubleshoot Network Problem I first tried this:

4) Key in ping 127.0.0.1 in Command Prompt window. This is network card loopback address. If you receive Reply from 127.0.0.1, it works.
this worked on both machines -
presumably meaning the network cards are in order, but when I pinged the IP address of the other PC it timed out in both directions.

Remember the LAN network connection is using the Option "Obtain IP adress automatically" on both pc's and the Alternate Config is 10.1.1.1 & 10.1.1.2 for the rwo machines.

Is there any point in trying Simple Way to Check IP Address in Microsoft Windows. Is there any point in trying to create a new LAN connection?
Internet work on both machines (when connected - I have to unplug the DSL cable in order to use the cross-over cable)
Tom

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2010, 12:40 PM »
@tomos:

You don't mention what version of XP is on either machine, the workgroup designation depends on the version of XP you're using, the defaults are:
XP Home - MSHOME
XP Pro    - WORKGROUP

You'll need matching workgroups if you want to be able to easily compare directories side-by-side or use a program like Beyond Compare or WinMerge, (while they can take an IP address, it is easier if you can browse to the respective directories that you want to compare using Windows Explorer).

If you want step-by-step instructions then I don't think it's going to get much more step-by-step than Lee Indy's tutorial - all 48 steps at one step per page, (makes me want to chew my arm off but hey :) ).

I've walked through them and it looks very simple to follow, pictures are included where necessary - there's also a tutorial for connecting via a router.

No offence but considering your level of expertise in this, after finishing transferring/comparing files/directories I would recommend you unshare ALL directories (folders) you might have shared from the respective systems.  (You really only have to share folders on one system and just use the other to browse/copy any files/folders.)

If your firewall is proving to block the connection then there is also tutorials on how to turn the most popular ones off here.  REMEMBER to turn it back on BEFORE connecting to the internet.

EDIT: He seems to be relying on APIPA, (169.254.x.x), addresses to be assigned by default, (to save the reader from delving into network settings), as such it can take 2-3 minutes before they are assigned - the amount of time XP takes to decide there really is no 'outside' world ;)

EDIT: Boy my grammar goes to pot sometimes - corrected.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 12:50 PM by 4wd »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2010, 05:16 PM »
can you confirm that the PCs are ping-able?
no!

this is strange.. at this juncture, it might be helpful to have a screenshot of ipconfig /all for both PCs.

btw, a couple more t/shooting links:
• peer to peer workgroup setup - http://www.chicagote...t/workgroupsetup.htm
• Troubleshooting ipconfig - http://www.chicagote...shootingipconfig.htm

P.S. also a spare set of cables would help eliminate the possibility of cable error..

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2010, 04:04 AM »
thanks 4WD for that link
I'll work my way through those (steps)

after finishing transferring/comparing files/directories I would recommend you unshare ALL directories (folders) you might have shared from the respective systems.  (You really only have to share folders on one system and just use the other to browse/copy any files/folders.)
-
I'm not worried about making the one pc totally insecure cause it doesnt get connected to the internet and would just be temporarily connect to other pc. It's just sitting there so I thought I'd use it for backup at least but there's also some older stuff I want to copy off of it. But I will keep that in mind ;-) (with security I'm reasonably careful - I think anyways...)
Tom

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2010, 09:14 AM »
might try something like this (same idea as suggested by rjbull & jdd) - the cables shown in that TC link seem to be focused on copying stuff from older pc to newer one - in fact at least one of them seem to simply start copying stuff automatically according to an amazon review. They all work with their own software

FYI  There is no 'special' software required with most of the USB datalink connections that are designed for this purpose, such as the one I mentioned earlier. You should be able to use any flavor of Windows Explorer software.

With XP, the drivers are loaded automatically when you connect the computers with the USB cables and, voila....you can copy or backup or move files from one to the other.  Nothing should start copying or moving files automatically unless you set it up to intentionally do that.

You do not need to mess around with Internet connections or IP addresses, or work groups or pinging or any of this other stuff.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 09:20 AM by jdd »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2010, 02:57 PM »
thanks jdd, I think I'm going to keep going (for another while) with the epic network-style connection. I wouldnt mind setting up a network at some stage and reckon I'm learning a lot of the basics here :up:

@4WD
my god that was a helpful, but a very painful link there lol :D
If you want step-by-step instructions then I don't think it's going to get much more step-by-step than Lee Indy's tutorial - all 48 steps at one step per page, (makes me want to chew my arm off but hey :) ).
*now* I understand about the chewing the arm off comment - is he trying to maximise his advertising views or what... Ironically the layout makes it very difficult to follow & he often has comments before the Step ## instructions which I didnt notice for a while..

But the step by step thing did make me realise:
the one XP is in German and the other English. I dont think this should cause a problem (maybe I should have said it sooner though) and I did check the workgroup names (but at different times) and was simply thinking, yeah, they're both default.
I was so bogged down with everything I didnt look at them side by side :-[
Of course the German one is in German... and the English one .... is in English

So I will have another go soon(ish) & report back
Tom

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2010, 08:34 PM »
By now you already had moved all your data with a stick and ´sneakernet´... :P

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2010, 11:29 PM »
*now* I understand about the chewing the arm off comment - is he trying to maximise his advertising views or what... Ironically the layout makes it very difficult to follow & he often has comments before the Step ## instructions which I didnt notice for a while..

Yeah, I know he is trying to help people but honestly 48 pages!?

4 or 5 steps per page would have made it a much better experience IMO - even with the advertising, (most of which is blocked via Adblock or Outpost here anyway).